While international travel can be a routine part of many sponsored research projects, it’s important to take time before you depart to consider the following:

Where am I going?

Research your destination to determine what level of risk there is and if there are any travel advisories. The U.S. Department of State is a great resource and offers current destination-specific information.

What’s the risk? 

Depending upon the destination or nature of the visit, extra precautions should be taken:

  • If a laptop is necessary, University of Colorado Boulder recommends using a 'clean' laptop that does not contain any confidential or sensitive information or software when travelling internationally to ensure that important information is not compromised and networks remain secure. CU Boulder's Office of Information Technology (OIT) has implemented a loaner laptop program for faculty and staff members travelling internationally. Contact CU Boulder OIT to request a laptop.
  • If you plan to travel internationally with property or equipment, please contact the OCG property team at ocgproperty@colorado.edu prior to departure.  Additional documentation may be required to substantiate location and date of purchase to Customs upon departure and re-entry to the United States..

What will be discussed?

Are sensitive or confidential topics being discussed that will attract unwanted attention? Ensure that the proper precautionary steps are taken and should suspicious contacts reach out to you to solicit information, make sure that it is promptly reported to the proper authorities.

How long will I be going?

Make sure that any relevant financial institutions, insurance companies as well as family members, are aware of your plans to minimize risk.

Are there any sponsor requirements?

The Fly America Act is typically enforced on all Federal projects but there may be other travel requirements included in your award about which you should also be aware, such as specific written sponsor pre-approval for an international trip. If you would like any guidance, feel free to contact your Grant or Contract Officer in OCG.

Fly America Waiver Form

Travel Desk Reference

Foreign Travel Infographic with Frequently Asked Questions

Other Resources

The University of Colorado and the Federal Government provide numerous resources to assist with international travel, including the following:

Medical and Evacuation coverage is available through GeoBlue. Enter CU's Group Access Code Number (QHG99999UCBT) to access ID card and emergency contact information.

Travel Assistance and Consulting services that include real time intelligence reports are available through International SOS or call (215) 942-8478 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week). The CU Membership Number is 11BCASooooo6. Travel reservations booked through the University of Colorado’s approved travel agency, Christopherson Business Travel, are automatically uploaded to assist in responding to emergencies.  All other travelers can manually register their reservation.

U.S. Department of State

Current, destination-specific information is available through the U.S. Passports & International Travel website. You will be able to access embassy and consulate details, visa requirements, health recommendations, as well as relevant safety and security precautions.

University of Colorado Procurement Service Center   

University of Colorado Administrative Policy Statement – Travel Authorization

Concur International Travel Landing Page