Biomedical microfluidics, intracellular delivery, drug delivery, lab on chip, cellular engineering
Xiaoyun Ding’s research group centers on the innovation of cutting-edge micro/nano systems for cell based biomedical applications, including micro/nano manipulation of cell and fluid, cell membrane disruption and repair, and precise intracellular/subcellular delivery. Our research is highly interdisciplinary at the frontiers of micro/nano engineering, biomedical engineering, acoustics, electronics, and other applied physics.
We strive to improve human health and life quality through innovations in engineering cell functions for cell-based immunotherapy and reducing costs of disease diagnostics and therapeutics.
- Gazendra Shakya, Tao Yang, Yu Gao, Apresio K. Fajrial, Baowen Li, Massimo Ruzzene, Mark A. Borden, and Xiaoyun Ding. Manipulating Internal Structure of Endoskeletal Droplets using Acoustic Waves. Nature Communication, 13 (1), 1-9, (2022).
- Yu Gao, Apresio K Fajrial, Tao Yang, Xiaoyun Ding. Emerging On-chip Surface Acoustic Wave Technology for Small Biomaterials Manipulation and Characterization, Biomaterials Science, 9.5: 1574-1582. (2021). (Back cover story)
- Apresio K. Fajrial, Kun Liu, Yu Gao, Junhao Gu, Richard Lakerveld, and Xiaoyun Ding. Characterization of single-cell osmotic swelling dynamics for new physical biomarkers, Analytical Chemistry, 2020. (Front cover story)
- Apresio Kefin Fajrial, Qing Qing He, Nurul I. Wirusanti, Jill Slansky, and Xiaoyun Ding. A review of emerging physical transfection methods for CRISPR/Cas9-mediated gene editing. Theranostics, 10(12):5532-5549. (2020).
- Yonghui Ding, Kerri A. Ball, Kristofor J. Webb, Yu Gao, Angelo D’Alessandro, William M. Old, Michael H.B. Stowell, Xiaoyun Ding. On-chip Acousto Thermal Shift Assay for Rapid and Sensitive Assessment of Protein Thermodynamic Stability, Small, 2003506, 2020. (Front Cover Story)
- Gazendra Shakya, Samuel E. Hoff, Shiyi Wang, Hendrik Heinz, Xiaoyun Ding and Mark A. Borden. Vaporizable endoskeletal droplets via tunable interfacial melting transitions. Science Advances 6.14: eaaz7188, (2020).
- Apresio Fajrial, Xiaoyun Ding, Advanced Nanostructures for Cell Membrane Poration. Nanotechnology, 30, 264002, (2019)
- Xiaoyun Ding, Martin Stewart, Armon Sharei, James Weaver, Robert Langer, and Klavs Jensen, High-throughput nuclear delivery and rapid expression of DNA via mechanical and electrical cell-membrane disruption. Nature Biomedical Engineering, 1, 0039 (2017)
- Martin P Stewart, Armon Sharei, Xiaoyun Ding, Gaurav Sahay, Robert Langer, Klavs F Jensen, In vitro and ex vivo strategies for intracellular delivery. Nature 538 (7624), 183-192 (2016)
- Xiaoyun Ding, et al., Cell separation using tilted-angle standing surface acoustic waves, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS), 111, 12992-12997 (2014).
- Xiaoyun Ding, et al., Surface acoustic wave (SAW) microfluidics, Lab on a Chip, 13, 3626-3649 (2013).
- Xiaoyun Ding, et al., On-Chip Manipulation of Single Microparticles, Cells, and Organisms Using Surface Acoustic Waves, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS), 109, 11105-11109 (2012).
- Xiaoyun Ding, et al., Standing surface acoustic wave (SSAW) based multichannel cell sorting, Lab on a Chip, 12, 4228–4231 (2012). (Cover Image)
- Xiaoyun Ding, et al., Tunable Patterning of Microparticles and Cells using Standing Surface Acoustic Waves, Lab on a Chip, 12, 2491-2497 (2012). (Cover image)
- 2022 The Penn State Graduate School Alumni Society Early Career Award (1 awardee worldwide yearly)
- 2021 NIH MIRA Early Stage Investigator Award
- 2021 Bruce S. Anderson Engineering Faculty Fellow, University of Colorado
- 2020 Lab Venture Challenge 2020 winner, Colorado
- 2020 Biomaterials Science Emerging Investigators 2021
- 2019 W. M. Keck Foundation Medical Research Grant Award
- 2019 CCTSI Novel Method Development Pilot Awards, Colorado
- 2013 Rustum and Della Roy Innovation in Materials Research Award, The Penn State University
- 2013 Inventor Incentive Award, The Penn State University
- 2013 Journal of Laboratory Automation Ten Breakthroughs in Innovation Award (JALA Ten 2013)
- 2012 Student Paper Competition Award, IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium, Dresden, Germany
- 2012 The Baxter Young Investigator Award, Chicago, USA (6 awardees nationwide)
- 2012 First Place Award at Penn State ESM Today Graduate Research Symposium, The Penn State University
- 2011 Innovation Award at Penn State ESM Today Graduate Research Symposium, The Penn State University