Published: Sept. 9, 2021

Four mechanical engineering students are among the six individuals from the College of Engineering and Applied Science who have received scholarships from the Society of Women Engineers (SWE). SWE grants the awards to undergraduate and graduate students each academic year, to help young people accomplish their dreams of being engineers who contribute to society. For the 2021-22 academic year, SWE has awarded 289 scholarships, totaling more than $1,200,000. 

Learn more about the four mechanical engineering students who have been recognized this year—and how their awards will help their education and future.

Hannah Kadel

Undergraduate Student - Senior

I received a SWE scholarship from Lockheed Martin. This scholarship recognizes students who are accomplished and driven, inside and outside the classroom, and who make a contribution to society. The award helps my education because it has given me a sense of belonging in my program as a woman engineer. It's enlightening to know someone read my scholarship application and chose me and my story, with confidence that I would use their funding for something great. It has given me motivation to keep learning, to keep growing and to someday give back. This scholarship has also relieved a lot of financial stress and has allowed me to focus solely on my education!

I am in my last year of completing my Bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineering and will be graduating in May of 2022. I am interested in biomedical engineering. I plan to complete a master’s degree in mechanical engineering with a concentration in biomedical in the fall of 2022 at the University of Colorado Boulder. I hope to use my degrees to pursue a career helping people with disabilities or mobile challenges.  

Mia Miller

Masters Student

I received the Dorlyn Lines Scholarship from the SWE Rocky Mountain Section (RMS). The scholarship is in memory of Dorolyn Lines, who graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering in 1923 and was one of the charter members of the Denver Section of SWE, which later became SWE RMS. She actively and enthusiastically encouraged women to be engineers and to achieve success in their careers. This scholarship continues her efforts to help young women study engineering. The scholarship committee was impressed with my academic and extracurricular achievements through my involvement as the CU SWE Section President and an ME Apprentice. 

I am a mechanical engineering master's student in the Bachelor's-Accelerated Master's (BAM) Program. I graduated magna cum laude from the undergraduate mechanical engineering program in May and will graduate from the master's program in May 2022. With my master's degree, I am primarily focusing on simulation, optimization and analysis. 

I'm incredibly passionate about working in the renewable energy industry. I hope to use my master’s degree to further solve optimization problems focused on efficient design. I cannot wait to work on developing new technology that helps impact the lives of people and the planet. I am currently working at Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy as a Wind Turbine Blade Design Intern and plan to continue my career in wind energy. I have also previously interned at Rommelag Engineering in Germany and hope to work abroad again someday.

Monique Reid

Masters Student

I received the Ansys Scholarship, which is a selective scholarship awarded to extremely accomplished and driven engineering students who excel both inside and outside of the classroom. SWE Scholarships support those who identify as female/woman who are pursuing careers in engineering. This scholarship will aid the continuation of my education at the master’s level in engineering. It is an honor to represent SWE as a promising engineer trying to make a positive impact on the world around me.

In 2021, I graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering from North Carolina State University. During my undergraduate years, I worked as a research assistant in biochemistry and biomechanics. I also had the opportunity to work in the medical device industry as a design and manufacturing engineer and supplier quality engineer. These experiences contributed to my desire to apply my background in biomedical sciences and mechanics to medical robotics. I am especially interested in improving the quality of life for patients and healthcare providers through human centered design.

Currently, I am pursing a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering with an emphasis on product design and development. My career goal is to create impactful engineering products that address unmet needs and solve unheard problems. I am interested in designing novel surgical tools and devices. I recently joined the Advanced Medical Technologies Lab (AMTL) at CU Boulder as an MS Thesis student. I will be supporting the Robotic Capsule Endoscope project that focuses on developing a mobile electromechanical device to improve outcomes of colonoscopy procedures. In the future, I hope to work in an interdisciplinary role merging research and development and project management.

Jessica Woodard

Masters Student

I was honored to receive the Intel SWE Scholarship, which recognizes outstanding academic achievement and strong engineering potential. Intel uses this scholarship to support women in STEM disciplines and creates a community for the recipients to further grow their careers professionally. This scholarship not only helps me pay for my tuition, but also connects me to the Intel Scholars community. In this community, I can connect with engineering mentors and join the Intel Global Student and Alumni Network. 

I am in the second semester of my Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering degree with a biomedical focus. In addition to biomedical-related mechanical engineering courses, I am taking courses like product design and Lean Six Sigma manufacturing. I am very passionate about engineering in the medical device industry. Currently, in addition to full-time graduate school, I am working part time as an intern on a product development team at Terumo Blood and Cell technologies working on medical device disposable products. 

Because of this scholarship, I can focus on education as a full-time student and continue accepting cutting edge part-time opportunities so I can grow academically and professionally. I look forward to also maintaining a career-long relationship with the peers and mentors I will meet due to this scholarship network!

The final two students in the College of Engineering and Applied Science who have been awarded scholarships are Joelle Westcott and Thyme Zuschlag. Westcott, who is a senior in the Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering Department, received the SWE Rocky Mountain Section Pioneer Scholarship. Zuschlag, a senior in the Aerospace Engineering Department, was awarded a Lockheed Martin Scholarship.

Related News Stories

Thumbnail

Teamwork leads CU Boulder Racing Team to victory at Formula SAE

The CU Boulder Racing Team recently competed in the Formula SAE student design competition, rising above 101 other university teams from across the world to come in 20th overall. Read more
Vera Sebulsky

Mechanical's Vera Sebulsky wins Graduate Administrator Award

The Outstanding Graduate Administrator Award recognizes an adminsitrator who demonstrates unwavering dedication to graduate students and exceptional skills in graduate administration. Read more
CU Boulder Wind Team at Collegiate Wind Competition 2023

CU Boulder Wind Team secures legacy at 10th annual Collegiate Wind Competition

The CU Boulder Wind Team recently competed in the 10th annual Collegiate Wind Competition, rising above 30 other university teams from across the country to come in second place overall. Read more