Published: March 1, 2020

Jatinder Sampathkumar
Mechanical engineering graduate student Jatinder Sampathkumar. 

Where are you from? 

I’m from Bengaluru, a city in southern India. 

What schools have you attended?

For my undergraduate degree, I attended BMS College of Engineering. 

What do you like to do in your free time?

Boulder has spoiled me. I enjoy being outdoors and exploring and taking in the food scene and limitless cafes and bookshops. I also love cooking and have been trying my hand at fusion cuisines. I’m also working on improving my badminton; the CU Rec Center is an amazing place to make friends and develop skills.

Please share about your research. 

I am currently enrolled in the mechanical engineering PhD program and am co-advised by Dr. Nicole Labbe and Dr. Greg Whiting. My research focus involves developing innovative digital manufacturing techniques. I’m currently working on creating a new processing route to manufacture specialized Silicon Carbide reactors for combustion applications.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

R&D manager, working with teams developing cutting edge manufacturing solutions for aerospace applications. I’m confident that the efforts of groups at NASA, Lockheed Martin, Ball Aerospace and others will usher in a new era in how we sustainably design and manufacture for the future.

Anything else you'd like to share?

I’ve always been passionate about aviation. I’ve recently gotten into building scale model aircraft. It’s been amazing to learn the history of these machines and to be able to build them, one component at a time. I’m hoping to build a large enough collection to one day to be able to share with the world.