Published: Feb. 26, 2019 By

Students take the pledge at the Ring and Pin CeremonyNearly 300 seniors and 25 alumni gathered Monday for the Engineering Ring and Pin Ceremony, dedicating themselves to ethics and integrity in their chosen fields.

The annual ceremony, now in its second year, is a new tradition for the College of Engineering & Applied Science. Part solemn oath and part anticipatory celebration, the rite of passage acknowledges the duties and responsibilities that underpin the profession.

The ceremony is affiliated with two larger organizations: the Order of the Engineer and the Pledge of the Computing Professional and Applied Science or Allied Professional.

Engineers receive a ring to wear on the pinky finger of their dominant hand, while computing professionals and applied scientists receive a lapel pin signifying their pledge. Both serve as visual reminders of their professional obligations.

“With that ability comes a tremendous responsibility to affect the future in an ethical and professional manner,” Dean Bobby Braun said to those gathered.

The ceremony featured remarks from Braun, Associate Dean Ken Anderson and alumni Jane Song (ChemBioEngr’17), Pratima Sherkane (MCompSci’18), Gabriel Elbert (MechEngr’18), Robert Tyrrell-Ead (EngrPhys,ApMath’18), Jackie Kingdom (MEnvEngr’19).

Obligation of an Engineer

I am an engineer.

In my profession I take deep pride. To it I owe solemn obligations.

As an engineer, I pledge to practice integrity and fair dealing, tolerance and respect; and to uphold devotion to the standards and the dignity of my profession, conscious always that my skill carries with it the obligation to serve humanity by making the best use of the Earth’s precious wealth.

As an engineer, I shall participate in none but honest enterprises. When needed, my skill and knowledge shall be given without reservation for the public good. In the performance of duty and in fidelity to my profession, I shall give my utmost.

The Pledge of the Computing Professional

I am a computing professional.

My work as a computing professional affects people’s lives, both now and into the future. As a result, I bear moral and ethical responsibilities to society.

As a computing professional, I pledge to practice my profession with the highest level of integrity and competence. I shall always use my skills for the public good. I shall be honest about my limitations, continuously seeking to improve my skills through life-long learning.
I shall engage only in honorable and upstanding endeavors.

By my actions, I pledge to honor my chosen profession.

The Oath of the Applied Scientist or Allied Professional

My work as an applied scientist or allied professional affects people’s lives, both now and into the future. As a result, I bear moral and ethical responsibilities to society.

I pledge to practice my profession with the highest level of integrity and competence. I shall always use my skills for the public good. I shall be honest about my limitations, continuously seeking to improve my skills through life-long learning. I shall engage only in honorable and upstanding endeavors.