Published: March 1, 2018

#ILookLikeAnEngineer  

Why did you choose engineering at CU Boulder?

CU Boulder personally gave me the best opportunity to succeed as an engineer. Being close to a lot of technical fields provides great networking opportunities for my career.

What does the #iLookLikeAnEngineer hashtag mean to you?

It means that no matter what you look like or where you were brought up you have the ability to make an impact, whether its through your community or a larger landscape.

What are your career goals?

My career goals is to be a contributor in the aerospace and aviation industry. It is a firm belief of mine that innovations in those fields will lead to the improvement of a lot of other industries.

What are your hobbies?

Huge Broncos fan. Love Snowboarding. 

Do you have any advice for a freshman in engineering?

Before I began my journey into CU Boulder as an engineering undergrad, I was from a smaller town with a lack of technical fields in the area. When I told people that I was going to be an engineer, I would generally receive a display of doubt. A lot of people, especially ones who have never taken the engineering route, will express doubt. They could not imagine themselves doing it, so how could you? The thing is you must ignore those people, even the ones close to you. Find the people that match your beliefs in engineering at the college campus. Having a local community that can understand what you are going through and can assist you will benefit you in many different ways.

Dylan States, Class of 2020, Fruita Monument High School Graduate, Mechanical Engineer