At CU Boulder, we have focused our ME degree on professional master's programs that serve highly employable disciplines and provide skills based on industry needs. In ECEE, we have several such offerings. Please refer to Degrees and Programs for details. Note that our professional master’s programs are offered under a Professional Master of Science degree as well.

A minimum of 30 semester hours of academic work acceptable to the student's advisory committee and within the rules established by the College of Engineering and Applied Science and the Graduate School will be required for the ME degree. For a Professional Certificate, a minimum of 9 semester hours of acceptable academic work are required. More details on program course offerings and requirements for both degrees and certificates may be found under Degrees and Programs.

If the course syllabus has 3000 (ideally 4000) level pre-reqs in the same field (e.g. Applied Math for an Applied Math grad course, or, in most cases, ECEN for an ECEN course), then the 5000-level course will be considered a grad-level course with sufficiently technical content in the respective area. The key is that if it is a course designed to be taken by students without an undergrad in the field of study, it's not a tech grad course in that field.

In cases of doubt about a particular course, the student should contact the advisor and director of graduate students for prior approval.

All courses applied toward the degree must be taught by members of the graduate faculty. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that the instructors are members of the graduate faculty.

The student who wishes to enter the ME program with an emphasis on electrical and computer engineering should apply to the ECEE Department in the same manner as an MS applicant. The Graduate Record Exam is not required for admission into the ME program. The application will be reviewed by the departmental admissions committee, which will forward its recommendation for acceptance through the normal channels to the dean of the Graduate School. Qualifications for admission are essentially the same as those for the MS degree. If an applicant has been out of school for an extended period of time, work experience and supervisor recommendations will be weighed to a greater extent.

Academic advisors for ME students majoring in electrical and computer engineering will be appointed by the director of Graduate Studies. The academic advisor will be a member of the department's graduate faculty.

Students in off-campus locations may earn part or all of the credit required for the ME degree through CU Boulder Connect.

A maximum of 9 semester hours of acceptable coursework may be transferred from another accredited institution. Work completed at CU as a special student or at another CU campus falls under the 9-hour rule.

Work already applied toward another degree, extension work completed at another institution, or correspondence work cannot be accepted except to make up deficiencies.

Transfer courses must have a grade of "B" or better but are not calculated into the GPA.

An ME student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on all coursework taken regardless of its level or the reason it was taken. Grades earned in transfer courses or courses taken as a special student are not calculated into the GPA. Courses taken may not count toward the degree, but are calculated into the GPA. A student cannot be admitted to candidacy or graduate with a cumulative GPA below 3.0.

All of the requirements for the degree of Master of Engineering must be completed within six years.

ME students may participate in the Leave of Absence Program. Any semester(s) on leave are included in the time limit to complete the degree. Students who are not on leave and do not register during a given fall or spring semester will be automatically withdrawn from the university and must fill out an application for re-admission in order to return. This applies to degree-seeking distance learning students as well. Students who withdraw from school permanently must do so formally with the Admissions Office.

Records for an ME student majoring in electrical engineering will be handled through the ECEE graduate office.