The University of Colorado Boulder offers Conditional Admission to students whose English proficiency does not meet the requirements for admission into a degree program at CU-Boulder. You will be allowed to start the degree program to which you were conditionally admitted after you have met the requirement for English proficiency.
The options below are ONLY for those who have not met these requirements. If you have not yet taken TOEFL or IELTS, you will need to do so and submit a sufficient score before you can be fully admitted. If you have taken TOEFL or IELTS and have met the English proficiency requirements but have not yet sent the results to us, please do so as soon as possible. Please refer to our English proficiency requirements page for more details.
How to meet the English proficiency requirements
Option 1: Retake the TOEFL or IELTS
If you have taken one of these tests and your current score does not meet the requirement, you may retake the TOEFL or IELTS in an attempt to meet the requirement. In order to finalize your admission, an English proficiency score that meets the requirement and proof of funding must be submitted to the Office of Admissions no later than November 15 for spring applicants and June 15 for fall applicants.
Click here to learn more about our English proficiency requirements >
Option 2: Enroll in the ESL Academic Bridge Program
The ESL Academic Bridge Program (EABP) is offered through CU-Boulder's International English Center. Students take course work in academic English and participate in workshops, activities and events that help them transition into the university community. Students are able to begin their degree program once they successfully complete all required levels of the EABP, which generally takes 6 months to 1 year.
Click here to learn more about enrolling in the ESL Academic Bridge Program >
- You must submit a separate application to the International English Center (IEC) to be admitted into the ESL Academic Bridge Program (EABP). Once your application is completed and received, including all required financial documents, the IEC will issue and send you an I-20 for English study at their Center. The IEC will also contact you and provide further details on immigration, housing, registration and other important information prior to your arrival. Be sure to review all information about the program before applying.
- You must provide proof of funding for both the ESL Academic Bridge Program and for your degree program at CU-Boulder.
You will provide proof of funding to the International English Center for the EABP, which costs less than tuition for a degree program at CU-Boulder. Once you have successfully completed all required levels of the EABP, and provided the Office of Admissions with new proof of funding for your degree program, we will be able to finalize your admission so you can begin your degree program at CU-Boulder. This proof of funding will be based on the costs for the term in which you will begin your degree program, not for the term to which you originally applied. Tuition costs typically rise every year, so please be prepared to demonstrate an additional 3% -10% more funding than was listed on the financial statement form for the term to which you originally applied.
Academic merit-based scholarships that are awarded to you along with your admission cannot be applied to the IEC tuition fee. Any merit-based scholarships that you receive will be applied to the cost of tuition for your degree program at CU-Boulder once you begin.
- You have one year to successfully complete all required levels of the ESL Academic Bridge Program. You will then be able to start your degree program at CU-Boulder the following semester.
There is no guarantee that you will successfully complete all required levels of the ESL Academic Bridge Program to begin your degree program. If you do not successfully complete all required levels of the program within one year, you will need to re-apply for admission to a degree program at the University of Colorado Boulder.
- You will begin your degree program in the major indicated on your admission e-mail. Completing the EABP has no effect on your major.
If you were not admitted to the college of your choice, you will begin your degree program in the College of Arts and Sciences. You can change your college after completing at least one or two semesters in the College of Arts and Sciences through the Intra-University Transfer (IUT) process.
- Please note that we only accept successful completion of our International English Center’s ESL Academic Bridge Program as proof of English proficiency; we do not accept completion of any other English program.
If you have any questions about conditional admission, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about the ESL Academic Bridge Program, please e-mail email@example.com.