The vice chancellor for research & innovation and dean of the institutes (vice chancellor and dean) is an officer of the administration reporting to the provost and executive vice chancellor for academic affairs, and serves as a key member of the Provost's Cabinet. They have a leadership role in the Division of Academic Affairs and on the campus leadership team.
The vice chancellor and dean is the chief research officer of the campus and chief administrative and academic officer of the university’s institutes. This position has overall responsibility for supporting the research agenda for the University of Colorado Boulder. The incumbent works closely with the provost and campus senior leadership and collaborates with the faculty in the strategic development, growth, and quality of the research enterprise. The vice chancellor and dean fosters the scholarly and intellectual basis for new and continuing research efforts. The incumbent develops and supports programs to engage graduate and undergraduate students in research, scholarly and creative work, contributing to student success. To submit a nomination of a candidate, please visit the CU Boulder nomination form here.
The search advisory committee is composed of members of the university community and is charged with recommending to the provost candidates who are qualified for the appointment of vice chancellor for research and innovation and dean of the institutes.
- Robert McDonald, search advisory committee chair; dean, University Libraries and senior vice provost, online and extended education
- Waleed Abdalati, director, Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES); professor, Department of Geography
- Emina Begovic, assistant vice provost, Academic Resource Management, Office of the Provost
- Danielle Brunner, assistant vice chancellor, Academic Affairs Budget and Finance, Office of the Provost
- Shideh Dashti, acting associate dean of research, College of Engineering and Applied Science; associate professor, Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering
- Colisse Franklin, deputy assistant vice chancellor for the research & innovation enterprise, Research & Innovation Office
- Gary Henry, assistant vice chancellor for research, Research & Innovation Office and director, Office of Contracts and Grants
- Shelley Knuth, assistant vice chancellor and director of research computing, Office of Information Technology
- Roy Parker, director, BioFrontiers Institute; distinguished professor of biochemistry
- Brynmor Rees, associate vice chancellor and managing director, Venture Partners, Research & Innovation Office
- Karen Regan, associate vice chancellor, Research Development, Research & Innovation Office
- Tammy Sumner, director, Institute of Cognitive Science; professor, Department of Computer Science
- Matthew Young, assistant vice chancellor, Office of Advancement