Control of the hierarchical structure of multilength-scale materials, chemical and physical properties of materials, manipulating the interface for energy technologies
Dr. Ban's current research includes interfacial science and engineering for functional materials used in energy conversion and storage systems; mechanical-electrochemical coupling at electrode-electrolyte interface for a variety of electrochemical systems; design of new materials systems for lithium ion and multivalent ion diffusion in solid lattices for future multivalent energy storage systems; multi-modal and in situ measurements to exploit the complex functionality and process for a more thorough understanding of the mechanisms underlying the electrochemical behaviors.
Ban's research focuses on next-generation electrochemical materials to address the increasing environmental needs for energy storage systems that can be coupled with renewable energy and electric vehicles.
- Ban, Chunmei, and Steven M George. 2016. “Molecular Layer Deposition for Surface Modification of Lithium-Ion Battery Electrodes.” Advanced Materials Interfaces 3: 1600762.
- Finegan, Donal P., Antonis Vamvakeros, Lei Cao, Chun Tan, Thomas M.M. Heenan, Sohrab R. Daemi, Simon D.M. Jacques, et al. 2019. “Spatially Resolving Lithiation in Silicon-Graphite Composite Electrodes via in Situ High-Energy X-Ray Diffraction Computed Tomography.” Rapid-communication. Nano Letters 19 (6): 3811–20.
- Son, Seoung-bum, Lei Cao, Taeho Yoon, Arthur Cresce, Simon E Hafner, Jun Liu, Markus Groner, Kang Xu, and Chunmei Ban. 2019. “Interfacially Induced Cascading Failure in Graphite-Silicon Composite Anodes.” Advanced Science 6: 1801007.
- Son, Seoung Bum, Tao Gao, Steve P. Harvey, K. Xerxes Steirer, Adam Stokes, Andrew Norman, Chunsheng Wang, Arthur Cresce, Kang Xu, and Chunmei Ban. 2018. “An Artificial Interphase Enables Reversible Magnesium Chemistry in Carbonate Electrolytes.” Nature Chemistry 10 (5): 532–39.
- Wood, Kevin N., K. Xerxes Steirer, Simon E. Hafner, Chunmei Ban, Shriram Santhanagopalan, Se Hee Lee, and Glenn Teeter. 2018. “Operando X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy of Solid Electrolyte Interphase Formation and Evolution in Li2S-P2S5 Solid-State Electrolytes.” Nature Communications 9 (1): 1–10.
- 2018 – President’s Award on research of operando X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- 2016 – Innovation and Technology Transfer Award, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- 2014 – Federal Laboratory Consortium (FLC) Mid-Continent Regional Award
- 2014 – Innovation and Technology Transfer Award, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
Select Professional Activities
- 2017 – present, Editor and Board member of the Institute of energy technology (IET)
- 2016 – present, Editorial Advisory Board Member for Sustainable Energy & Fuels
- 2018 – General Chair of Beyond Li-ion Conference XI, Cleveland, OH
- 2013 – General Chair of Beyond Li-ion Conference VI, Boulder, CO