Published: Feb. 15, 2021

Kimberly FungMy name is Kimberly Fung, and I am from Boulder, Colorado. I am a third-year in mechanical engineering with minors in business and leadership.

As a leader and engineer, I am driven to create and bring products that make people feel inspired and enable them to make the world a better place. Give everyone a little magic, if you will. This desire to do so came from yearly trips to Disneyland and of course an undying love for the movies. When visiting as a kid, I was incredibly scared of the dark rides like the Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, and notably, It’s a Small World. My parents remind me to learn about the things I am scared of to find bravery. I found myself fascinated by the ride mechanics and the joy that the Disney parks bring people. I want to use my skills in engineering and leadership, as well as my passion for storytelling, as a Disney Imagineer to inspire others to dream big.

In addition to being a student, I am the student liaison for the Newton Chair Center for Leadership and vice president of the Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers CU Boulder
chapter. Most recently, my friends and I started a not-for-profit LLC, Unmask the Racism, a social media campaign that aims to raise awareness about xenophobia against people of Asian descent during COVID-19. A cornerstone of our organization is bringing meals from local Asian cuisines to local frontline and healthcare workers. Through this mission, we are showing that the Asian community is a positive part of our community as a whole.

None of these experiences could be possible without the support of my family, friends, and many people at the university. I am so thankful for their support and desire to help me grow.