When to apply:

  1. It is necessary to notify USCIS of any transfer of schools.
  2. You must enroll in the new school in the first available term after leaving the previous school or in the first term following an authorized vacation.

What you need to do:

  • Tell an advisor in ISSS that you are planning to transfer to a new school. The new school may have a transfer-in form that you and ISSS will have to complete.
  • Complete the SEVIS Record Transfer-Out Request form and hand it in to ISSS.
  • ISSS will then release your SEVIS record to the new school. The new school cannot make a new I-20 for you until they have control of your SEVIS record.
  • You must go to the international student office at the new school within 15 days of the start of classes!

What the international student advisor at the new school will do:

  • Verify that you are enrolled at the new school.
  • Update your SEVIS record to show that you reported to the new school and completed the transfer within the 15-day deadline.
  • Give you a new I-20 for the new school showing that the transfer is complete.


  1. If you are not maintaining status or are otherwise ineligible for the transfer procedures, the regulations require that you apply to USCIS for reinstatement to F-1 status. See the handout on reinstatement procedures and consult an international student advisor.
  2. If you accomplish the transfer by re-entering the United States with the new I-20, and you have been out of status, you will be reinstated to the proper F-1 status when you re-enter. You must have a valid passport, valid visa, and otherwise be eligible for entry to the United States.