Continually maintained status and made progress towards educational program;
Applied for extension prior to the program end date; and
Program completion delay was caused by compelling academic or medical reason
- Examples include: Changes of major or research topics, unexpected research problems, loss of credits upon school transfer, original length of time to complete program was unreasonable, documented illnesses
Participation in practical training not required for degree completion and delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for a program extension.
Program Extension Request Process
Submit the following documentation to ISSS at least two weeks prior to your I-20 program end date.
- F-1 Program Extension Form (signed by your main campus academic advisor/dean)
- Proof of funding for extension (e.g., bank statement, affidavit of support; TA/RA appointment letter)
Calculate an estimate of tuition and fees using the tuition and fees rate calculator available on the Bursars website. Living expenses for the F-1 primary and, if applicable, the F-2 dependent must also be included in the financial support calculation.
Financial Support Documentation
- Please review the ISSS Financial Support Documentation Requirements
If an ISSS advisor determines you are eligible for an I-20 program extension, your SEVIS record will be updated and a new I-20 will be issued with the extended program end date.
- You will receive an email when your request has been processed.