When to apply:
If you advance from one educational program or level to another and stay at the same school, USCIS must be notified of the change.
- You must have been a full-time student maintaining status.
- You must enroll in the program in the next available term after leaving the previous program or in the first term following an authorized vacation.
What you need to do:
- Notify ISSS that you will be changing your program.
What ISSS will do:
- Update your I-20 information in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System and give you a new, updated I-20.
- OR If you go outside the United States (except for a trip of 30 days or less to Mexico, Canada, or the Caribbean Islands other than Cuba), you may accomplish the change by presenting a new I-20 showing the new program or degree to an immigration officer at the port of entry. The immigration officer should adjudicate the I-20 and stamp and return your I-20 to show the change. If this was not accomplished, see an international student advisor.
If you accomplish the change by re-entering the United States with the new I-20, you must have a valid passport, a valid visa, and otherwise be eligible for entry to the United States. If you have questions, see an international student advisor.