Application submission deadline for Spring, 2019 is December 7th, 2018, 11:59 PM, MST. Applications are reviewed on a first come first served basis.
All transcripts, letters of recommendation and ALEKS scores must be in by December 7th to be considered for Spring admission.
In order to apply for the Applied Computer Science online degree program, prospective students must meet the following requirements:
- Have a four-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- Have a minimum accumulated GPA of 2.75 in your existing bachelor’s degree. Applicants with significant life experience but a lower GPA will still be considered.
- Meet the math requirements.
- International students must meet a minimum standard of English proficiency.
Now Accepting Applications for Spring 2019
- Spring Classes Start: January 16th, 2019
- Spring Session Dates: Jan 16 - May 3
(Final Exam Period: May 5 - 9)
- Spring, 2019 Application Deadline: December 7th, 2018, 11:59 PM, MST
As part of the admissions process students must:
- Complete an admissions application and pay the $50 application fee ($70 for international students)
- Provide a personal statement of 200-1000 words explaining why you are interested in the Applied Computer Science degree. Reflect on your personal strengths (e.g. intellectual passion, academic abilities, disposition to work with professional colleagues) and lived experiences that will enable you to succeed in the program.
- Provide two (2) letters of recommendation. Your references should be able to provide information regarding your ability to succeed in the program. References from relatives and friends will not be accepted.
- Submit all official transcripts directly to CU Boulder from the issuing institution. Transcripts can be sent to email@example.com or mailed to the Office of Admissions.
Note: Meeting the minimum admissions requirements does not guarantee your admission.
Students are required to have one of the following:
- AP Calculus or Calculus 1 or successful completion of CLEP exam for Calculus (CLEP exam credit may be granted for a score of 54 or above) or successful completion of the ALEKS Prep for Calculus with Limits course with a grade of 80% or more.
- To take the self-paced ALEKS Prep for Calculus with Limits course applicants should go to the ALEKS website and sign up for the course using the class code: JML34-K3NRF. Applicants will be required to purchase an access code to take the course. Course results will be verified by our admissions staff as part of the admissions process.
In addition to our general admission requirements, all international applicants are also required to meet a minimum standard of English proficiency. The TOEFL and IELTS are two different English language proficiency tests accepted by CU Boulder as proof of English proficiency. CU Boulder does not accept any other tests as proof of English proficiency. International applicants are required to demonstrate English proficiency with a passing TOEFL or IELTS score as set by the College of Engineering and Applied Science.
TOEFL/IELTS Recommended Minimum English Proficiency Scores
Total scores must include a TOEFL writing subscore of 19 or higher or an IELTS writing subscore of 5.5 or higher. Scores may not be combined.
Minimum English Proficiency
- Please review the university's English proficiency requirements.
- Applicants are evaluated based on their overall application.
- Applicants who have taken the TOEFL or IELTS exams but do not meet the recommended minimum scores will still be considered for the program.
Proof of English proficiency is required for all international student applicants unless:
- You have completed at least one year of full-time academic study at a U.S. college or university or at an institution in a country where English is the native language (i.e., Australia, U.K.) at the time you begin studies at CU Boulder that is within two years of the desired admission term. For example: If you graduated in spring 2015, the exemption is only valid until the fall 2017 term, in which case a TOEFL or IELTS score would be needed for admission.
- English is your native language
Sending Your TOEFL and IELTS Scores
Request that the testing agency submit your scores directly to the Office of Admissions. Scores must be received by the Office of Admissions no later than November 15 for spring applicants and June 15 for fall applicants. For more information on the TOEFL, go to www.toefl.org. For more information on the IELTS, go to www.ielts.org.
The CU Boulder school code for the TOEFL is 4841. IELTS does not have school codes. When requesting that your IELTS results to be sent to CU Boulder, have it sent to the following address:
Office of Admissions/International
University of Colorado Boulder
3100 Marine St Suite A122
Boulder, CO 80309-0065
Returning to CU Boulder
Students who are enrolled in the program but do not register for courses for three consecutive semesters will have to reapply to the program.