Ph.D. (Chemical Engineering), Stanford University (1974)
B.E.S. (Chemical Engineering), The Johns Hopkins University (1967)
- Thomas and Donna Edgar CACHE Award for Excellence in Chemical Engineering Education from ASEE ChED and CACHE (2021)
- American Society of Engineering Education Fellow (2019)
- ASEE Lifetime Achievement Award in Chemical Engineering Pedagogy (2017)
- AIChE Warren K. Lewis Award for Chemical Engineering Education (2015)
- AIChE David Himmelblau Award for Innovations in Computer-Based Chemical Engineering Education, with J. deGrazia, J.W. Medlin, G.N. Nicodemus (2015)
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in STEM Education (2015)
- Department Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award (2014)
- Johansen-Crosby Lectureship, Michigan State University (2013)
- Fellow of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (2012)
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in STEM Education (2011)
- Boulder Faculty Assembly Service Award (2011)
- University of Colorado Hazel Barnes Prize (highest faculty recognition for teaching and research given by the University of Colorado Boulder, 2008)
- College of Engineering Max S. Peters Outstanding Service Award (2008)
- University of Colorado CRCW Faculty Fellowship (2004-05, 1997-98, 1980-81)
- ASEE Annual Conference Best Zone Paper Award (2005)
- University of Colorado President's Teaching Scholar (the University’s highest teaching recognition, a lifetime appointment, 2000-present)
- Boulder Faculty Assembly Excellence in Research, Scholarly, and Creative Work Award (1999)
- Chemical Manufacturers Association National Catalyst Award for Excellence in Teaching (1997)
- ASEE Rocky Mountain Section Outstanding Teaching Award (1997)
- Departmental Outstanding Teaching Awards (1988, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000)
- James & Catherine Patten Professor (1992-1996)
- ACS Colorado Section Award in Chemistry (1992)
- College of Engineering Outstanding Advisor Award (1992)
- College of Engineering Research Award (1991)
- Hutchinson Memorial Teaching Award, College of Engineering (1990)
- J.L. Falconer and N. Hendren, “Virtual Catalytic Reactor Laboratory”, Chemical Engineering Education, in press (2021).
- J.L. Falconer, K.R. Bourland, J. deGrazia, M. Medlin, “Teaching Tip: Interactive Self-Study Modules for Chemical Engineering” Chemical Engineering Education 54, 171 (2020).
- J.L. Falconer, K.R. Bourland, J. deGrazia, M. Medlin, “Interactive Self-Study Modules for Chemical Engineering” Chemical Engineering Education, in press (2020).
- L.D. Ellis, S.T. Parker, J. Hu, S.F. Zaccarine, M.J. Stellato, H.H. Funke, C. Sievers, S. Pylypenko, J.L. Falconer, J.W. Medlin, “Tuning gas adsorption selectivity and diffusion rates in zeolite 5A with phosphonic acid monolayers” Cell Reports Physical Science 1, 100036, April 22, 2020.
- J.L. Falconer, “Teaching Tip: Are our Students Studying Effectively” Chemical Engineering Education 54, 31 (2020).
- J.L. Falconer, J. deGrazia, “Grading exams and homework more efficiently and effectively”, Chemical Engineering Education 53(2), 100 (2019).
- J.L. Falconer, “Interactive Quiz-Yourself Simulations” Chemical Engineering Education 53, 220-222 (2019).
- N.O. Chisholm, H.H. Funke, R.D. Noble, J.L. Falconer, “Carbon Dioxide/Alkane Separations in a SSZ-13 Membrane” J. Membrane Science 568, 17-21 (2018).
- N.O. Chisholm, H.H. Funke, R.D. Noble, J.L. Falconer, “Effect of toluene adsorption on permeation through SAPO-34 membranes”, J. Membrane Science 560, 108-114 (2018).
- J. L. Falconer, J. deGrazia, J.W. Medlin, K. McDanel, “LearnChemE.com: Teaching/Learning Resources for Chemical Engineering”, Chemical Engineering Education 52, 182-186 (2018).
- J.L. Falconer, M.A. Henson, “Where to Start when Teaching a New Course or Updating an Older Course?”, Chemical Engineering Education 52, 192 (2018).
- Y. Luo, H.H. Funke, J.L. Falconer, R. D. Noble, “Adsorption of CO2, CH4, C3H8, and H2O in SSZ-13, SAPO-34, and T-Type Zeolites”, Ind. Eng. Chem. Research 55, 9749-9757 (2016).
- J.L. Falconer, “Why Not Try Active Learning?”, AIChE J. 62, 4174-4181 (2016) (invited article).
- J.L. Falconer, “Combining Interactive Thermodynamics Simulations with Screencasts and ConcepTests”, Chemical Engineering Education 50(1), 63-69 (2016).
- T. Wu, M. Diaz, Y. Zheng, R. Zhou, H.H. Funke, J.L. Falconer, R.D. Noble, “Influence of Propane on CO2/CH4 and N2/CH4 Separations in CHA Zeolite Membranes”, J. Membrane Science 473, 201-209 (2015).
- T.D. Gould, A.W. Weimer, J.L. Falconer, J.W. Medlin, “Enhanced Dry Reforming on Ni and Ni-Pt Catalysts Synthesized by Atomic Layer Deposition”, Applied Catalysis A 492, 107-116 (2015).
- T.D. Gould, A. Lubers, A. Corpus, A.W. Weimer, J.L. Falconer, J.W. Medlin, “Controlling Nanoscale Properties of Supported Platinum Catalysts through Atomic Layer Deposition”, ACS Catalysis 5, 1344-1352 (2015).
- S.A. Van Norman, J.W. Tringe, J.D. Sain, R. Yang, J.L. Falconer, A.W. Weimer, “Using atomic layer deposited tungsten to increase thermal conductivity of a packed bed”, Applied Physics Letters 106, 153102-1 to 153102-5 (2015).
- H.H. Funke, Y. Luo, M.Z. Chen, G.C. Anderson, J.L. Falconer, R.D. Noble, “Measuring Mixture Adsorption by Temperature-Programmed Desorption”, Ind. Eng. Chem. Research 54, 5159-5164 (2015).
- N. Chisholm, H.H. Funke, J.L. Falconer, R.D. Noble, “Increasing H2/N2 separation selectivity in CHA zeolite membranes by adding a third gas”, J. Membrane Science 496, 118-124 (2015).
- C.T. Nam, J.L. Falconer, L.M. Duc, W.-D. Yang, “Morphology, Structure and Adsorption of Titanate Nanotubes prepared using a Solvothermal Method”, Materials Research Bulletin 51, 49-55 (2014)
- H.H. Funke, M. Chen, A. Prakash, J.L. Falconer, R.D. Noble, “Separating Molecules by Size in SAPO-34 Membranes”, J. Membrane Science 456, 185-191 (2014).
- T.D. Gould, A.W. Weimer, J.L. Falconer, J.W. Medlin, “Stabilizing Ni Catalysts by Molecular Layer Deposition for Harsh Dry Reforming Conditions”, ACS Catalysis 4, 2714-2717 (2014).
- M.D. Koretsky, J.L. Falconer, B.J. Brooks, D.M. Gilbuena, D.L. Silverstein, C. Smith , R.L. Miller, M. Miletic. “The AIChE Concept Warehouse: A Web-Based Tool to Promote Concept-Based Instruction”, Advances in Engineering Education 4, 1-27 (2014).
- J.L. Falconer and G. Nicodemus, “Interactive Mathematica Simulations in Chemical Engineering Courses”, Chemical Engineering Education 48(3), 165-174 (2014).
- J.L. Falconer, J. Will Medlin, G. Nicodemus, K. Hoeferkamp, J. deGrazia, “A Thermodynamics Course Package in OneNote”, Chemical Engineering Education 48(4), 209-214 (2014).
Professor Falconer's current research focuses on modification of zeolites to change their adsorption and diffusion properties in an effort to develop improved separations. We have published on zeolite membranes, heterogeneous catalysis, and applications of atomic and molecular layer deposition to catalysts and membranes. Our laboratory has published more than 235 papers in refereed journals, and these papers have been cited more than 20,250 times (h-index = 81 on Google Scholar). In addition, 21 patents have been issued from our research.
We have developed a library of more than 1,800 screencasts, 2,100 ConcepTests, 210 interactive simulations simulations, 80 interactive self-study modules and two browser-based virtual laboratories (LearnChemE.com). These screencasts have been watched/downloaded more than 35 million times, and our YouTube channel has more than 135,000 subscribers. We have also developed course packages that incorporate active learning for thermodynamics, kinetics, and material and energy balance, and are developing simulated laboratory experiments.
Undergraduate thermodynamics and reaction kinetics; graduate reaction engineering and research methods and ethics.