We are excited to host the 2015 Rocky Mountain Student Regional Conference here at the University of Colorado in beautiful Boulder, CO!
Dates: April 17-19, 2015
- Map of venues and parking
- Parking at JSCBB and Engineering Center is free Friday after 5pm and on weekends
- Note: no parking close to Carlson
- Map of venues zoomed out
- Equipment drop-off at Carlson Gym
- Walking from Best Western to Engineering Center
Schedule of Events
Friday, April 17th
|3:00-6:00pm||Conference Check-In||Jennie Smoly Caruthers Biotechnology Building (JSCBB) main lobby|
|3:00-6:00pm||Outdoor Activities & Building Tours||JSCBB west field; tours start in registration desk in main lobby|
|6:00-8:00pm||Buffet Style Dinner||JSCBB main lobby|
|Battle of the Bands||
Glenn Miller Ballroom on campus at UMC (free)
Saturday, April 18th
|7:00-8:00am||Registration Continues||Engineering Center Lobby|
|8:00-9:00am||Presidents Meeting||Engineering Center, ECCR 135|
|8:00-11:00am||Paper Competition||Engineering Center, ECCR 151 and 155|
|8:00-11:00am||Workshops||Engineering Center, ECCR 150 and 105|
|10:00-11:00am||Chem-E-Car Check-In & Chem-E-Car Poster Setup||Carlson Gym (map for equipment drop-off)|
|11:00am-12:00pm||Chem-E-Car Poster Judging||Carlson Gym|
|1:00-4:00pm||Chem-E-Car Competition||Carlson Gym|
|1:00-4:00pm||Career Mini-Fair||Carlson Gym (map for equipment drop-off)|
|4:30-6:30pm||Chem-E Jeopardy||MATH 100|
|7:00-10:00pm||Awards Banquet||JSCBB; Keynote Speaker: Professor Al Weimer (Abstract)|
Sunday, April 19th
|9:00am||Hike at Chautauqua||Meet in Chautauqua parking lot|
Excited to explore Boulder during the conference, but don’t have any transportation? Boulder has various options available! Listed below are some alternative modes of transportation:
- Buff Bus:The Buff Bus is a great and free option to get around campus. The picture to the right shows the route and stops. If you are on main campus, to get to the Jennie Smoly Caruthers Biotechnology Building you can request the bus driver to stop at stop #8 and follow Colorado Ave East to JSCBB. Want to track the Buff Bus and know when the next Buff Bus will be arriving? Visit: buffbusmobile.etaspot.net
- RTD Buses: There are plenty of buses that run throughout Boulder as well. Use http://www3.rtd-denver.com/elbert/SystemMap/ or download Transit Tracker – Denver (RTD) on your phone to find the nearest bus stop and find your way around town. Typical local fares are $2.25 or you can purchase Day Passes online at http://store.rtdpasses.com/
- Boulder Yellow Cab:Yellow cab operates 24/7, and there is a cab stand at 11th and Pearl if you are on Pearl Street. Call 303-777-7777 to schedule a ride.
- Rates: $2.50 first 1/9 mile or fraction thereof, $2.25 each additional 1 mile, $0.375 each minute of waiting time, $1.00 extra person charge.
- Lyft or Uber: These are other “taxi” like services available in the Boulder area. For these services, the app must be downloaded to your cell phone and payments are made prior to the ride using a debit card registered account.
- Uber Rates: $2.14 base fare plus $0.19 per minute and $1.57 per mile for uberX rides; $7 base fare plus $0.30 per minute and 3.05 per mile for UberBLACK rides. Rates are subject to periodic "price surges" when demand outpaces supply.
- Lyft Rates: $1.13 base charge, $5.00 cancellation penalty, $5.00 cost minimum, $1.41 cost per mile, $0.17 cost per minute, $1.70 trust and safety fee. Rates are subject to “Prime Time” multiplier during times of high demand.
Please register individually for the conference here (note: link coming in January) and register for the Paper Competition and Chem-E-Car Competition as indicated in the respective sections below.
Student Conference Registration
- Early Registration Before February 1 ~ $60/person
- Open Registration: February 1 - April 1 ~ $70/person
- Late Registration: April 1 - April 18 ~ $80/person
Faculty/Advisor Conference Registration ~ In lieu of a fee, we hope you will considering judging one of more of the following:
- Paper Competition
- Chem-E-Car Safety
- Chem-E-Car Poster Competition
Note: conference rate for the Best Western ended 30 days prior to the event.
Hotel: Best Western Plus Boulder Inn
- Group Code: call 800-233-8469 and reference code " AIChE Rocky Mountain Student Regional Conference"
- Group Rates: $109 for a room with one King bed up to 2 adults, 2 children per room; $114 for a room with two queen beds up to 2 adults, 2 children per room. Additional adult in either room type is $5 per adult, maximum 4 persons per room.
- Method of reservation: Guests will make own reservations and guarantee with individual credit cards. Unconfirmed rooms in block will be released 30 days prior to arrival.
- Check in: 3:00 PM ~ Check out: 11:00 AM
- Complimentary hot breakfast served 6:30 AM to 10:00 AM – Includes: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, juices, 3 cereals, English muffins, bagels, doughnuts, assorted fresh fruit, and coffee.
- During your visit, enjoy complimentary hot breakfast, free in-room high speed internet access, 40 inch LCD tvs with 60 HD channels, and 24-hour business center. Other guest facilities include pool, hot tub, sauna, fitness facility, and conference center.
- Pictures of the hotel are located at www.boulderinn.com
- Transportation from airport
- RTD Bus service– drops off ½ mile from the hotel ($13 each way) www.rtd-denver.com
- Boulder Green Ride Shuttle –to the front door of the hotel ($27 each way / $50 round trip) 303-997-0238 www.greenrideboulder.com
Undergraduate Research Paper Competition
Each school may submit up to TWO papers (registered separately, $75 each).
Deadline to register your paper: 5pm on Friday, April 3.
Register your paper for the Paper Competition ($75).
Each school may submit TWO (2) Chem-E-Cars to the competition (registered separately, $75 each). The first two cars submitted per school will be accepted; subsequent school submissions will not be accepted.
Tentative deadline to register your Chem-E-Car (subject to change): 5pm on Friday, March 13.
Register your Chem-E-Car ($75).
To help us estimate the number of teams participating, please register your ChemE Jeopardy team here (free).
Thank you to our wonderful sponsors!
- Student Chair: Mari Leivan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Advisor: Dr. Wendy Young (email@example.com)
We look forward to seeing you all at the conference!