Please follow these application instructions to apply for the PhD in Theatre & Performance Studies at CU Boulder.
Submit the online Application for Graduate Admission, including the appropriate fee, by the deadline. The application fee may not be waived unless you are a current McNair Scholar, a Project 1000 participant, or an active Peace Corps or AmeriCorps volunteer. If you have unusual circumstances that warrant a fee waiver, please contact us at email@example.com.
This checklist details the materials we wish you to submit for each section of the Graduate School application.
Optional: Please include an essay describing how your educational, professional, creative (if applicable), or personal (e.g., cultural, economic or social) experiences prepare you to contribute to the department's emphasis on diversity and inclusion during your graduate career at CU. These contributions may come in the form of research topic, creative work, community engagement, professional work, personal perspective, and more.
Completing this statement is optional, and you do not need to disclose any aspect of your identity or personal experiences in this statement. The recommended maximum length of the statement is 500 words or one page, single-spaced.
English proficiency can be documented in several ways. Requirements for English proficiency can be found on the English Proficiency Requirements webpage. This page includes minimum test scores, countries excepted from submitting test scores, and alternate methods of meeting the proficiency requirement.
If you plan to submit test scores, please review the information below:
- Valid TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo scores
- Minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based)
- Minimum TOEFL score of 79 (internet-based)
- Mimimum IELTS score of 6.5
- Minimum Duolingo score of 100
- Official test scores must be reported by the testing service directly to the university. Please request that the appropriate testing service report scores directly to the University of Colorado Boulder. The institution code for the TOEFL exams is 4841. The department code is not needed.
- Please note, the university must receive your scores by the January 3 deadline. If you cannot take the test in time, please apply next year.
International applicants should please visit the International Students page of the Graduate Admissions website for more information.