The PhD program in Theatre & Performance Studies is a four-year, 60 credit hour degree designed for those who intend to be theatre scholars working in an academic environment. We offer all PhD students a four-year teaching-based funding package.
The program is designed to be completed in four years. Students must enter the program with a master's level degree.
- Semesters 1 - 4: focused on completing the following coursework
- 17 credit hours of required coursework which emphasizes the interrelatedness of theatre and performance studies theory, history and practice
- 13 credit hours of elective coursework which allows students to develop a specialization (may include credit for acting, directing, dramaturgy and design)
- Semester 5: preparing for and taking the comprehensive examination
- Semesters 6 - 8: writing and defending the dissertation
Prerequisites & Required Courses Plan of Study PhD Reading List
For More Information
Apply Now Request Information from the Graduate School Schedule a Tour