Online Change Requests
We encourage faculty and staff to submit student record change requests electronically in support of campus sustainability and efficiency goals.
For requests that require college or school approval, please complete a special action/change of record spreadsheet and email it with any required petitions to the student's college, school or program for approval.
Students should not use online special action forms or special action/change of record spreadsheets to submit requests for themselves. Online special action forms submitted by students will be rejected.
About Administrative Forms
Supplies of paper special action forms (SAFs) and change of record forms (CORs) are available from the Office of the Registrar and must be kept secure. If you're unable to submit the original (white) copy of a completed form, we'll accept a photocopy from the dean's office that includes a brief explanation of the situation and a fresh signature and date.
CORs are for past-term student record changes and for current-term class adds after grade rosters have been created. Submit a COR in the following situations:
- You need to make any academic record change after the last day of classes (e.g., add, drop, change grading basis or variable credits, expunge, etc.), including changing the submitted grade for a student whose record can't be modified using the grade change workflow.
- You need to add a student to a class after the Monday before finals. (Note: The COR must include the student's final grade because the student won't appear on the grade roster.)
A dean's signature is always required.
Departments must submit the original (white) copy of the form directly to our office. We will not accept a student-delivered COR.
For details and instructions, see Change Submitted Grades.
Purpose & Deadlines
Depending on the type of request, departments may use the graduate program change, addition & discontinuation form to request changes to a graduate program on behalf of their students.
Use this form to:
Add a master’s degree program to an active PhD degree program.1
- Add a second master’s degree program to a student's record where a dual degree program has been approved.2
- Add a PhD degree program for a master's student who has no break in attendance and is within the same degree program.
- Remove a master's or PhD program for a student who will continue to pursue a graduate program in the same department.
- Withdraw a student from an old program when they have been admitted to a new graduate program through Admissions. See the graduate admissions guide for staff for additional information.
2The deadline to request the addition of a second master's degree program is the last day of finals.
The form cannot be used to:
- Defer an incoming GRAD student to a new semester. Instead, contact Graduate School Admissions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Add a master's or PhD degree for a student who's been admitted to a certificate program only. Students must apply and be accepted into a degree-seeking graduate program first.
- Change majors or switch graduate programs. Students should apply to the new program through the application for admission.
Submission & Processing
For specific instructions to add, remove or change master's or PhD degree enrollment for a student:
Submit the completed form to IUT@colorado.edu by the deadlines listed above. Missed deadlines can cause unintended impacts on the student's financial aid eligibility and their tuition and fee bill.
Note: A student is billed based on how their program is term activated. The PhD program is always chosen over a traditional or professional master’s program. If a student is in two programs of the same level, billing can vary. Please consult the Bursar’s Office's costs page to understand potential billing implications of a mid-semester program change.
Submit a new student cancellation intent form after an admitted student tells you they're no longer planning to attend CU Boulder. This will allow the Office of the Registrar to follow up with the student if they don't submit a withdrawal form.
Once submitted, the student will receive an automated email advising them to submit a withdrawal form to officially postpone or discontinue their enrollment.
Purpose & Deadlines
SAFs are used for current and future-term student record changes that academic offices cannot handle themselves. The deadline for SAFs is the last day of classes. This means decisions are finalized and required signatures are dated as of the last day of classes. After the last day of classes, change of record forms (CORs) should be used to request record changes.
Once a student's assigned enrollment dates are in progress or complete, you may submit an SAF if:
You need to make a change to the student's registration, but you don't have access to make it yourself.
You need to change the class section after the drop deadline.
The student's department or instructor may submit an SAF to:
- Swap a class, drop back or drop forward.
- Re-add a student who has a W grade before grade rosters post.
- Change a class's credit hours.
- Override the same course.
- Override a closed course.
- Override class permissions or controlled enrollment.
- Override restrictions, prerequisites or corequisites.
- Override a time conflict.
- Override a waitlist.
The dean of the student's primary program must sign and submit an SAF to:
- Drop a class or change a class's grading basis after the 10-week drop deadline (only allowed if the class is set up as "student option").
- Override the student's unit load.
- Expunge a class (no-record drop).
Changes that require a change of record form (COR), not an SAF, as well as approval from the dean of the student's primary program:
- Add a class with a grade after grade rosters are created (submit a COR).
- Swap a class with a grade after grade rosters are created (submit a COR).
Submission & Processing
If the department or instructor has signatory authority, the department program assistant should have access to make the requested change in Campus Solutions. If they don't have access, you may submit either an online SAF or a paper form.
If a dean's signature is required, you must submit the original (white) copy of the paper form to the Office of the Registrar for processing. We will accept a student-delivered form if it is complete and gives us no cause for concern; however, you should never give a blank or incomplete SAF to a student.
Processing & Corrections
If your requested change has not gone through after five business days, please contact our office so we can investigate. Possible issues could include:
The form was lost in the mail, misplaced or not submitted. If the form is lost, we'll ask you to submit a new form or a copy of the original form with the error noted. We accept submissions by hand or mail. Please do not email forms that contain student information; email is not a secure means of transmitting sensitive student data.
The student has a financial hold. Our office will work with the Bursar's Office to have the holds temporarily lifted, if appropriate.
The student has an Office of Admissions hold that prevents the student from adding a class. The Office of the Registrar can only override the hold if we received an SAF requesting that the class be added.
We will occasionally receive an SAF or COR that has inaccurate or missing information. Common problems include:
- The specified course isn't offered in the indicated term.
- The student isn't registered for the specified class.
- There is no section number indicated for a multi-section class.
- The student has a disciplinary hold.
- The student has an academic hold and a temporary override is not allowed.
- Required signatures are missing.
- The listed credit hours fall outside the allowed range for that course.
If the form has only one or two pieces of missing or inaccurate information, we'll typically call or email the academic unit for clarification.
If the form is missing a signature or has multiple errors, we'll instead return it to the department or the dean's office with a correction request form that specifies the nature of the problem and the action needed from the academic unit. Please respond within one week of receipt. We often receive calls from concerned students and staff wondering why a submitted change hasn't been processed.
The Office of the Registrar validates dean's signatures against the signature on record. We cannot validate signatures for which no official signature exists. If your college or school needs a signature for a new signing authority, please email email@example.com.
If your form has been processed and you identify a data-entry error, contact our office and we will correct it immediately.
- Class Enrollment
- Class & Facility Scheduling
- Curriculum & Catalog
- Faculty & Staff Calendar
- Grade Processing
- Program Enrollment
- Records & Privacy
- Student Data & Systems Access
- Training & Support