Travel Signature

Prior to traveling outside the U.S., please check to ensure that you have a valid travel signature as you may be 1) denied re-entry to the U.S. or 2) issued an I-515A and only granted temporary status in the U.S. for 30 days. If you are issued an I-515A, you must meet with an ISSS advisor immediately as additional actions must be taken to extend your status beyond 30 days.

  • F-1 /F-2 Status: Travel signatures are provided at the bottom of page 2 of your I-20
  • J-1/ J-2 Status: Travel signatures are provided in the lower right-hand corner of your DS-2019

A travel signature is valid for re-entry to the U.S. for up to one year from the date that it is provided or until the end of your program, whichever occurs first. Exception: If you are on Optional Practical Training, a travel signature is only valid for re-entry to the U.S. within 6 months of the signature date.

Documents for Re-Entry to the U.S. After a Temporary Absence

  • Current I-20 or DS-2019 with Valid Travel Signature
  • Valid Passport: Must be valid 6 months beyond the date of re-entry to the U.S.
  • Valid Visa
  • Current Financial Support Documentation
    • e.g., bank letter, financial guarantee, scholarship letter, affidavit of support
    • Must show funding for expenses noted on I-20 or DS-2019.
  • I-901 SEVIS Fee Receipt
    • If you do not have your original receipt, you can print a copy from the I-901 fee website.
  • Unofficial Transcript and/or Verification of Enrollment Indicating Full-Time Status Every Semester printed from MyCUInfo

If you travel outside the U.S without your I-20/ DS-2019 or valid travel signature:

You will be responsible for setting up an eShipGlobal account as instructed on the mailing authorization form and paying for the cost of the mailing.

Printing Your Electronic I-94

After re-entering the U.S., ISSS recommends printing your electronic I-94 to ensure your information was recorded properly and to document your maintenance of status.