If you will be graduating this semester, please review the information below and address any applicable items.

At the beginning of the semester:

  • Confirm you are enrolled in a full-time course load or an authorized equivalent at CU Boulder. A physical presence on-campus is required every fall and spring semester. It is also required in the summer if the summer term is your last semester.
    • If you only need less than full-time enrollment to complete all degree requirements, submit a Confirmation of Final Semester (available in the MyISSS portal) to ISSS. You must have the Confirmation of Final Semester submitted and approved by ISSS before dropping below full time.
  • Consult your academic advisor to obtain any paperwork that you are required to complete for your college, for the Graduate School, or to participate in the graduation ceremony. Make sure you are meeting all the requirements for your degree and will complete your degree at the end of the semester.
  • If you would like to remain in the United States to work in your major field of study for a year, you must apply for work permission.
  • If you are interested in working in the United States after graduating, start visiting Career Services. They have information about how to find jobs, and can guide you in finding companies that hire international students in the United States or abroad.
  • If you plan to leave the United States after graduating, make flight arrangements for your return home. Be sure to book the flight before the end of your 30 or 60 day grace period.
  • If you will stay in the United States because you plan to transfer schools or begin study at a different school, talk to an advisor in ISSS for information about your immigration status.

Two to three months before leaving the United States or graduating and moving:

  • If family or friends will be visiting you for the graduation ceremony, begin work on finding places for them to stay (hotels can fill quickly). If your friends or relatives will need tourist visas to enter the United States, remind them to work on applying for the visas at the U.S. embassy or consulate closest to them.

One month before leaving the United States or graduating and moving:

  • Make sure your roommates are aware of your plans.
  • Cancel all your utility accounts.
  • Make arrangements with your bank to close your account(s). You may wish to leave the account open for a few months after you leave in case there are expenses that come up.
  • Contact health insurance, car insurance, and life insurance companies to discuss coverage options and whether to close the account.
  • Consider what to do with your vehicle if you have one. If you live in North or South America, you may be able to drive the car home. If you live elsewhere you may consider shipping the car home, although this can be quite expensive, so selling maybe a better option.
  • Leave a forwarding address at your local Post Office so they can send your mail to your new address. The Boulder Main Post Office is located at 1905 15th Street.
  • Notify credit card companies and any home delivery services of your change of address. Request final billing statements if you are canceling these services.
  • Pay any fines you might have (library, Bursar's Office, parking fines, etc.). If you owe any money to the University of Colorado, you will not be able to get your diploma or transcripts until you pay the money. Return any library books you might have.
  • Visit the commencement website for details on Diplomas. To ensure that you receive your diploma, please update your home address in Buff Portal. It may be possible to make special arrangements with them to have a friend pick it up and mail it via courier to you.
  • Contact shipping companies for best rates and make arrangements to ship your items home in a timely manner.
  • Sell miscellaneous furniture, appliances, computers, automobiles, bikes, etc., by holding a garage sale, placing advertisements on placing advertisements on craigslist.
  • Unsubscribe from email lists you will no longer need.

Even after leaving the U.S., if you earned income during your last year present you will still have tax filing obligations. For more information see our page on Tax Obligations.

Graduates of CU Boulder get to keep your colorado.edu email address for life. For more information see the Office of Information Technology Email for Life page.