The following funding opportunities are available to international students:
International students are not eligible for the U.S. government aid programs (i.e., Pell Grant, SEOG Grant, Stafford Loan, Perkins Loan, Federal Work-Study). Finding financial support often requires a lot of research. Below are a few resources to aid you in this process.
- Financing Your Education in the United States
- Financial Aid for International Students
- IIE Funding for U.S. Study
- Scholarship resources for international students
- Campus Resources
ISSS Emergency Financial Grants
Every fall and spring semester, ISSS awards limited emergency grant funds for continuing students in F-1 and J-1 student status with unexpected financial emergencies. Grant amounts vary according to available funds and demonstrated need. With a limited amount of funds, not all applicants will receive a grant. Additional funding cannot be awarded for ongoing financial situations that have previously received ISSS Emergency Grant funding.
- The CU Boulder Financial Need Emergency Grant
Eligibility for the CU Boulder Financial Need Emergency Grant Award, you must:
- Undergraduate students: Be meeting Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
- Be in good academic standing with your department
- Be enrolled in your second year of studies or higher at CU Boulder
- Be an international student on a temporary non-immigrant visa
- U.S. citizens, permanent residents, refugees/asylees, and/or individuals in Temporary Protected Status are not eligible for these awards
Applying for an ISSS Emergency Financial Grant
Be sure to have all of the required documents ready to upload when you access the application.
Resume including your current employment/activities at CU Boulder
Current Budget—Create your own budget or use the Emergency Grant Budget Form
Statement of Financial Need and Current Financial Circumstance
- Must clearly explains the unexpected financial difficulty or emergency and the amount of funding you are asking for and details of the unexpected financial circumstance and how it was beyond your control.
Documentation of Your Financial Need
Completed Substantial Presence Test Questionnaire
All international students either working at CU Boulder or receiving a stipend or scholarship must schedule an appointment to meet with an International Tax Specialist. Please carefully review the International Tax website on International Student Stipends and Scholarships and the International Tax Guide: Tax Information for International Scholarship and Fellowship (Stipend) Recipients.