Integrative Physiology of Aging Laboratory
Online Screening Form
If you are interested in participating in a study, please contact a researcher at 303-735-6410; email@example.com. In addition, you can fill out our online screening form, which consists of questions that help us determine whether or not you qualify for a study. Each study is different and has different requirements for qualification. The research projects listed on this page are in various phases of recruitment. While projects may be ending recruitment, others may be just getting started, so if you are interested in research but don't qualify for a study at this time, please keep checking back.
- Clicking on the link will take you to a website where you can answer the questions on the screening form (Online Screening Form). It is a secure website, and it should take about 10 minutes to fill out. If the link does not work, please copy and paste "https://redcap.ucdenver.edu/surveys/?s=L8DW34JWAC" into your browser.
- Please fill out this form if you are interested in the Beetroot Juice and CKD study as the criteria are slightly different than our other studies. Link: https://redcap.ucdenver.edu/surveys/?s=TX3HCHN7FC
We are taking measures to ensure subject and staff safety, including: social distancing when possible, requiring masks to be worn while in our facility, thoroughly sanitizing equipment the subject and staff come in contact with, requiring subjects and staff to answer a COVID-19 screening tool before coming in to the lab, and minimzing the number of staff each subject comes in contact with. Please contact us if you have further questions about our measures to ensure your safety.
Ideal volunteers for the following research initiatives are healthy adults who are free of cardiovascular disease and other chronic health problems. Most medications are okay for the studies.
- Passive heat therapy and age-associated physiological function. This study will investigate the effects of passive heat therapy (hot water immersion in a hot tub) on vascular, cognitive, and motor function. The study involves 8 weeks of hot water immersion (3-4 times per week for 1 hour), with testing measurements taken before and after the 8-week intervention. If you are interested in this study, please call 303-735-4936 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Age-associated arterial dysfunction, Western diet, and aerobic exercise: Role of the gut microbiome. This study will investigate the role of the gut microbiome in mediating changes in blood vessel function. The study involves 2 x 7-day diet phases where participants consume a Western-style diet (high fat, high sugar, low fiber) for 7 days followed by a non-Western-style diet (low fat, low sugar, high fiber) for 7 days, with a 3-7-week washout period in between. All meals are provided. The goal of the diets is to alter the gut microbiome either in a healthy or unhealthy direction, in order to measure subsequent changes in blood vessel function. Before and throughout the 7-day diet phases, participants will undergo extensive blood vessel function testing. If interested, please call 303-735-6410 or email email@example.com.
Nicotinamide riboside supplementation in individuals with above average systolic blood pressure. The purpose of this study is to look at the effects of nicotinamide riboside (NR) on body functions in middle-aged and older adults with above-normal blood pressure. This study involves NR supplementation twice daily for 3 months. Participants will be tested for blood pressure, a complete blood panel, cardiovascular health, and cognitive function before and after the 3-month supplementation period. If you are interested in participating in this study, please call 303-492-2485 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Beetroot juice supplementation in individuals with CKD/kidney dysfunction. This study will determine the effectiveness of beetroot juice for improving body functions, including blood vessel, physical, and brain function in adults with Chronic Kidney Disease/kidney dysfunction. It involves daily consumption of approximately 1/3rd cup of nitrate-rich (treatment) beetroot juice or nitrate-depleted (control) beetroot juice for three months with vascular measures before, during, and after the intervention. If you are interested in seeing if you might qualify to participate, pelase call 303-735-6410 or email email@example.com.
Qualified participants receive:
- Free medical screening and diagnostic testing (bone scans, exercise stress tests, ultrasound, blood tests) completed by professional medical personnel.
- Financial compensation for your participation.
Helpful and/or important information about our research:
- All studies have passed rigorous examination by the University Ethical Research Review Board and are supported by the National Institutes of Health.
- Studies take place at Ramaley or the Carlson Gym, located near the campus recreation center on the CU Boulder campus.
- In general, visits take place in the morning, beginning between 7:00 am and 11:00 am Monday through Friday.