For financial aid purposes, a student is considered a dependent of their parents unless the student is:
- serving on active duty in the US Armed Forces
- a veteran
- a parent with dependents
- an emancipated minor
- assigned a legal guardian before the age of 18
If you have an unusual circumstance such as an abusive family environment, abandonment, incarceration of a parent, etc., you may appeal to be considered independently from your parents. You may also request limited financial aid if your parents simply refuse to provide their information on the FAFSA.
1. To begin the appeal process, submit the Statement of No Parental Information that corresponds with your academic year.
2. A counselor will review your appeal and determine if an adjustment is possible, which may take about 4-6 weeks.
3. You will receive an email notification of your appeal decision.
Response times vary depending on the complexity of the issues involved and the time of year. We will make every effort to respond as promptly as possible.