I've received AP credit for Calculus 1 and Calculus 2. How do I know if I'm ready for Calculus 3?

See the math class choices website for details.

I took calculus during my junior year and have since forgotten everything. What should I do?

This happens a lot with students who take calculus in their junior year. See the math courses website for guidance.

Learn about course registration on the college's registration page. Engineering students are expected to enroll in a full-time curriculum (at least 12 credit hours per semester).

When do I register for courses?

New students for fall register for fall courses during the summer. Students do not come to campus for this, but rather register online from any computer with an Internet connection and web browser. Log on to Buff Portal to register.

What if I don't register for courses during my assigned enrollment appointment?

Contact the New Student Welcome Programs office to recieve a new enrollment appointment.

How can I learn more about course registration?

Registration instructions for new first-year students may be found within this site. Click here for additional information/help on the actual online registration process. If you are having problems if registering off-site, you can call the Registrar's Office at 303-492-6970 and press 1 to speak with a registration assistant, or contact your academic advisor.

How many credit hours should I register for? 

The college's baccalaureate degree requires 128 credit hours. A four-year plan averages out to 16 credit hours per semester. The college expects undergraduate students to be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours per semester to maintain full-time status. College students in their first semester at CU-Boulder are limited to register in no more than 17 credit hours; after the first semester, college students may register for up to 19 credit hours.

Who is my academic advisor? 

To find your advisor, consult our list of advisors by major.

I have a bunch of questions about what courses to enroll in because I took AP or IB exams. What should I do? 

First, refer to this AP/IB credit guide to see what type of college credit you should expect (college credit received is based on the specific exam you take and score you receive). Then consult with your academic advisor.

I'm a transfer student. When can I get my transfer credit evaluated? 

First, make sure that your school has sent final transcripts to the CU-Boulder Admissions Office (this can take 6-8 weeks). Transfer credit evaluation can start when all of your transfer coursework has been uploaded into our computer system. You should then review your transfer credit on the "degree audit" system with your academic advisor long before you register for classes. You should provide your advisor with course descriptions, course syllabi, and a copy of your transcript (all in English) to make the process easier and faster.

I want to continue with a foreign language. Is there a placement test that I can take? 

If you want to continue with the same language, for most languages you will need to take the placement test at the New Student Welcome Programs website prior to your enrollment appiontment appointment (so you'll know what course to register for).

I need to prove my oral and written fluency in a non-English language for my MAPS (Minimum Academic Preparation Standards) foreign language requirement. How should I proceed? 

See information on the Foreign Language Achievement Test (FLAT) and speak with your academic advisor.

How do I pick a humanities/social sciences elective? 

Review your college degree requirements for humanities/social sciences (HSS) coursework. You may also wish to look ahead to some of the upper-division courses. Check to see what their pre-requisites are and then take them so that you'll be able to take the upper-division courses at a later semester.

What are pre-requisites and co-requisites? 

A pre-requisite is a course that you must successfully complete PRIOR to enrolling in another course. The engineering curriculum requires a lot of pre-requisites, because one course's content builds upon knowledge gained in earlier courses. Good preparation is key to your success! A co-requisite is a course that you take concurrently―in the same semester―as another course. For example, students who enroll in CHEM 1221 (Chemistry for Engineers lab) must also enroll in CHEN 1211 (Chemistry for Engineers lecture and recitation).

Am I required to take an introductory engineering course?

Verify with your academic advisor whether or not your major requires an introductory course. These are typically 1- or 2-credit hour courses (AREN 1316, CHEN 1300, CSCI 1000, CVEN 1317, ECEN 1100, EVEN 1000, COEN 1500). Although it is recommended that you take the respective introductory course so you can become familiar with what your major department has to offer, you may be able to get the course waived and replaced with other engineering, math, or science-related coursework. If you are interested in taking an introductory course outside of your current major, you may need to contact the hosting department to enroll. Students beyond the freshman year typically do not enroll in an introductory engineering course.

How soon do I get to do hands-on engineering?

Engineering Projects courses (GEEN 1400, COEN 1400, COEN 1410, ECEN 1400, ASEN 1400) are introductory hands-on courses offered by the college. A number of majors either require a hands-on engineering course, or will apply it toward elective credit. If you are pre-med or a double-degree student, there may be options of other courses to take, but any of these are great courses and will give you an introduction to hands-on engineering.

What is a recitation? 

Many of the 1000-level courses on campus are large lectures, e.g., PSYC 1001 (Introduction to Psychology) and meet in a room that holds 450 people. So in order to enhance the learning experience, multiple sub-sections (recitations) are created to accompany the lecture. These recitations are much smaller and allow for discussion, group work, or to review homework.

What is a waitlist and should I avoid it? 

Waitlists are activated when a course reaches the enrollment limit. It is generally a very good idea to avoid waitlists. Better to register for an alternate section where you are guaranteed a spot.

Waitlisted students may be enrolled into a course during the first two weeks of classes whenever an enrolled student drops. Make sure to check Buff Portal to see if you've been enrolled into the course―remember, registration is ALWAYS the student's responsibility, so stay on top of this situation. If, however, you're on a waitlist, go to class and talk to the professor about the likelihood of getting into the course.

What if I don't make it into a course?

Consider the Course Reservation Program to reserve your spot in the class for next semester.

How does drop/add work?

You will have a limited time each semester to adjust your course schedule, i.e., to "add" a class to your schedule of courses, or "drop" a class from your schedule. There will be a period before classes start, and limited additional time after classes have started. Visit the Registrar's site for information about this process and to see the various deadlines.

What is the difference between dropping a class and withdrawing from classes?

When you "drop" a class, you still remained enrolled in other coursework during the semester. An overzealous freshman might initially enroll in 17 credits, but then decide to "drop" a 3-credit course during the second week of classes. A "withdrawal" is essentially dropping out of ALL classes, so the student no longer remains enrolled at the university. This is a withdrawal from the university, with more consequences than simply dropping one course. Get withdrawal information from the Registrar's Office.

How can I get help with a course?

The college offers a number of academic support programs, including group review sessions, individual and drop-in tutoring, improving study skills and strategies, and community support.

Is 10 minutes long enough to get across campus between classes? How do I figure out where my classes meet? 

It takes about 10 minutes at a brisk walking pace to get from the Engineering Center on the east side of campus to the other side of campus. If you have a bike or skateboard, bring it―they are a great way to get across campus. 

I'm considering changing my major. Who can I talk to about it?

If you want to explore career paths to either confirm your choice of major or consider other possible majors that might be right for you, contact Career ServicesStaff academic advisors and faculty mentors can also help you consider and better understand the options you have.

Want to explore more about different engineering majors and the career and research options they'll open up to you? Have a look at TryEngineering.org and the Sloan Career Cornerstone Center.

How can I change my major?

If you want to change your major to another major within the College of Engineering and Applied Science, schedule a meeting with your academic advisor

If you want to change your major to one outside the College of Engineering and Applied Science, consult with an advisor in your new intended college or school.

If you are currently a student in another college on the CU-Boulder campus and would like to transfer to the College of Engineering and Applied Science, see our Intra-University Transfer page for information. 

What kind of computer should I get?

We recommend that incoming students bring a personal laptop computer.  Many departments integrate in-class laptop use into their courses, and having a personal laptop will be helpful throughout your undergraduate career. Should you need assistance in procuring a laptop, wifi hotspot, webcam, or other technology like software, please see the resources here (scroll down to the student section).

In general, either a PC or Mac laptop running Windows, OSX, or Linux is fine.  Android, iOS, ChromeOS, or Windows RT based laptops, tablets, or mobile devices are not generally sufficient to satisfy the laptop recommendation.  Please consult the CU Office of Information Technology (OIT) web site for specific hardware and software recommendations.  OIT offers access to a wide range of software including programs that many engineering majors need like MATLAB and SolidWorks.

Many departments use MS Office (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), but alternatives like Google Apps (Gmail, Docs and Drive) or LibreOffice are also available free of charge.

We also recommend you purchase a USB flash drive and/or external USB hard drive to help backup or transfer your files.

Financial aid options may be available for students who require assistance obtaining a computer. Students who intend to purchase a computer and wish to have its cost included in their financial aid calculations are strongly encouraged to consult the Office of Financial Aid before purchase at 303-492-5091.

In addition to a personal laptop, the Engineering Center and other campus buildings include numerous computer labs available for undergraduate use. Furthermore, all campus buildings, including the residence halls, have wireless Internet access for student use. Visit the Office of Information Technology (OIT) to find out more about wireless access.

For more information, personal laptop questions or computer lab questions, contact OIT at 303-735-4357.

What about calculators―what do you recommend?

A popular model is the TI-89, but you might contact your major department to see what calculator is recommended.  Be aware that you're not allowed to use calculators during exams in Applied Math (APPM) courses.  Other courses may have restrictions also.

How do I set up my CU email address?

Go to Buff Portal to set up your CU email account.

I'm interested in research, study abroad, internships, etc.  How can I learn about these opportunities?

You can find lots of relevant and helpful information at the following links:

I'm interested in pre-med or pre-law. Do you have any advice?

Alert your academic advisor that you are interested in a pre-professional track so that this data is incorporated into your advising. You'll also need to meet with a pre-professional advisor. The pre-health advising page has information about pre-requisites to take to get into medical school, etc.

I'm interested in a minor. What options do I have?

The College of Engineering and Applied Sciences offers a number of minors, as do other colleges and schools across campus.The CU Boulder Online Catalog has a list of all possible minors and certificates, along with a description of the program and course requirements. Minors or certificates typically require about 18-21 credit hours of coursework in a specified subject area. After doing some research on your own, you should notify your academic advisor of your interest in a minor or certificate so that coursework may be coordinated. 

I want to join a band, choir, or other ensemble. Do you know anything about auditions? How do I register for the class?

Contact the College of Music, and they'll provide the details. You'll have to audition for most ensembles, though requirements vary. After you find out what ensemble you get into, then you add it to your schedule (usually the first week of classes).

I'm a senior; where can I get help with my job search?

One of the best resources available to you as a CU-Boulder student is Career Services.  Experienced career counselors are available to help you in the early stages of deciding on a career and again when you are about to graduate.  They can help you develop your job search and can advise you on how to write your resume and cover letter, how to prepare for interviews, and how to negotiate your salary and other benefits once a job offer has been made.  Career Services is located on campus in the Center for Community, Room S440.

Where can I get information about internships?

Career Services is available to assist students in finding jobs and internships.  CU's online job and internship search system, called Handshake, along with various career and internship fairs held throughout the year, might be just the way for you to find the perfect internship.  Career Services is located on campus in the Center for Community, Room S440.

Where can I find out about New Student Welcome Programs?

See the New Student Welcome Programs for details.

I applied to the College of Engineering and Applied Science but wasn't admitted. Can I still major in engineering?

CU Boulder students who would like to major in engineering have the option to apply for an intra-university transfer (IUT). See the IUT information page for details.