Instructor Fall 2019: Xiao-Chuan Cai
David Kincaid and Ward Cheney, Numerical Analysis: Mathematics of Scientifc Computing, 3rd edition, 2002. ISBN: 0-534-38905-8. Brooks/Cole.
1. Floating-point arithmetic and error propagation
2. Nonlinear equations in one variable
3. Systems of linear equations
4. Interpolation and approximation
5. Di erentiation and integration
6. Initial value problems for ordinary di erential equations
CSCI 3656 and three semesters of calculus, or consent of instructor. A knowledge of a programming language, such as C, C++, or Fortran, is essential.
Homework 40%, exam1 30%, and exam2 30%.