Each semester the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering (ChBE) seeks undergraduate Course Assistants (CAs) to support faculty in CHEN classes. CAs work 1-10 hours per week depending on their availability and the course needs. These student hourly roles are filled on an as-needed basis each semester.
Becoming a CA is a great way to:
- Solidify your understanding of an academic subject
- Get to know professors (helpful when looking for recommendations)
- Improve your communication and leadership skills
- Help your fellow students and professors
- Earn $$$
CA tasks depend on the course and instructor but usually involve some mix of the following:
- Grading of class material
- Helping answer student questions at office hours
- Leading recitation sessions
- Answering student questions via email
- Putting together homework questions/solutions
- First Years and Sophomores: $15.50/hr
- Juniors: $16.00/hr
- Seniors: $16.50/hr
- CHEN or CBEN undergraduate student
- We strongly prefer students who have received an A or A- in the class, though those with a B+ will also be considered.
Student hourly positions are not permanent employees and hired on a semester-by-semester basis. This position is eligible for employee sick leave earned monthly on a prorated basis. The ChBE Department does not provide internships, Research Assistantship (RAs) or Teaching Assistantships (TAs).
Interested applicants for CA openings may email Professor Timothy Whitehead at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Subject line: "CHEN Course Assistant position"
- Name of the course(s) of interest
- A brief statement on why you wish to be a CA
- An unofficial transcript