Built on the constructs of Culturally Relevant Pedagogy, Culturally Responsive Assessment argues for an intentional focus on conducting assessment in ways that recognize and support the needs of our increasingly diverse student populations while attending to issues of equity. Assessment approaches that are culturally appropriate can more effectively promote academic achievement for students from diverse backgrounds.
Equity in Higher Education Assessment and Evaluation
- National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment Equity Conversations
- Montenegro, E., & Jankowski, N. A. (2017, January). Equity and assessment: Moving towards culturally responsive assessment. (Occasional Paper No. 29). Urbana, IL: University of Illinois and Indiana University, National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment (NILOA).
- Montenegro, E., & Jankowski, N. A. (2020, January). A new decade for assessment: Embedding equity into assessment praxis (Occasional Paper No. 42). Urbana, IL: University of Illinois and Indiana University, National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment (NILOA).
Professional Organizations and Guides
- Center for Culturally Responsive Evaluation and Assessment, University of Illinois
- Statement On Cultural Competence in Evaluation, American Evaluation Association
- Culture Based Evaluation, National Compadres Network
- A Guide to Conducting Culturally Responsive Evaluations, National Science Foundation
- Reading List: 8 Books on Indigenous Research Methods recommended by Helen Kara