Graphic of computer and homeworkTeaching more by lecturing less

I selected 22 diseases to focus on in the spring 2020 semester. In a typical lecture class, I devoted ~40% of the total class time or less for my lecture with 10-12 slides.  For the remaining 60% of time, students analyzed the case studies including etiology, risk factors, pathogenesis, and interpret lab test results in order to make diagnosis of the diseases.  The case studies used in this class are derived from peer-reviewed articles and from my own collections.

Case study problem solving through class discussion and group work

Each case study has 3-7 problems.  Students discussed these problems with their neighbors, came up with solutions, and shared with the whole class.  I probed student’s reasoning for the correct answers because education researchers have found that even students choose the correct answer, it does not necessarily mean they know the correct reasoning behind the correct answer.  

Practice case study problem solving through weekly homework

Practice outside of classroom is important.  Education researchers have shown that homework is an essential component and help students learn.  I offered homework every week. The homework format was primarily case studies, just like the ones students discussed in class.  Each case study reinforces some pathophysiological concepts and allows students to see these concepts from different perspectives.  This type of homework provided additional problem solving opportunity and more practice for students.

Back (Background)           Next (Student Work)