The Pendulum New Music concert series, now in its 14th season, presents the best of new music with CU faculty and students, and first-class guest artists that have included Ursula Oppens, Bang on a Can All Stars, California Ear Unit, and eighth blackbird. Monthly concerts take place on Wednesdays in Grusin Music Hall, Imig Building, CU campus in Boulder, with special events in the Atlas Blackbox Theater and other venues. Pendulum’s mission is to promote new music and to equip students with the necessary skills and resources for successful collaborations and commissions.
Pendulum takes its name from the Colorado Centennial Foucault Pedulum at CU’s Duane Physical Laboratory. The pendulum iconifies the series’ mission to swing through all aesthetic directions in the music of our time.
Student Participation Opportunities:
1) Participate as audience
a) Monthly concerts on Wednesday nights at Grusin, including works by all composition majors, artists reception follows concert
b) Sign up for monthly email at firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Participate as performer – media opportunities, coachings, professional recording
a) Initiate a composer-performer collaboration
b) Individualized coachings on performance issues and rehearsal communication
c) Talk to your teacher, and get in touch with Hsing-Ay Hsu at email@example.com.
The Pendulum Committee:
Hsing-ay Hsu, Artistic Director and Primary Coach
Production Manager and Media Manager: TBA
The Pendulum Series production crew consists entirely of CU composition students.
- Sep 30 Mike Barnett/David Korevaar, and CU composers/performers
- Oct 28 featuring Douglas Walter/Charles Wetherbee/Hsing-ay Hsu/composer Steve Mullins, and CU composers/performers
- Dec 2 featuring Don McKinney and the Wind Symphony, and CU composers/performers
- Jan 27 featuring Abigail Nims, and CU composers/performers
- Feb 24 Electro-acoustic Event at ATLAS Blackbox Theater, 64-Bit Competition, feature TBA, and CU composers/performers
- Mar 30 featuring Christina Jennings/composer Cynthia Folio, and CU composers/performers
- Apr 6 feature TBA, and CU composers/performers