How does CU Boulder identify conflicts of interest or commitment, and how do I access the DEPA? 

On the Boulder campus, annual online reporting of conflicts of interest occurs by submitting a Disclosure of External Professional Activities (DEPA). Information regarding conflicts of interest reporting for other University of Colorado campuses can be found on the Forms, Checklists, Contacts & Links tab to the right of this page.

When does the DEPA need to be submitted?

Between January 15 and March 31 of each year, as well as any time throughout the year if circumstances change.

Who is required to submit the DEPA?

All faculty, and any other employee (regardless of job title/position), or student with responsibility for the design, conduct or reporting of research are considered critical to the research process and must disclose any significant financial interest (SFI) and external professional activity that could compromise university decision making or duties. Projects and protocols submitted to the Office of Grants and Contracts or to the IRB cannot receive approval until an annual DEPA is submitted, reviewed and approved. It is not for each individual researcher to decide if he/she must report based on a belief that no conflicts exist. ALL personnel listed in the groups below must report, as stipulated, in order for the institution to be in compliance with federal regulations. 

The following University of Colorado Boulder personnel required to submit an annual Disclosure of External Professional Activities (DEPA):

  • All Tenure Track Faculty (all levels); Adjunct, Visiting and Research Faculty (all levels). This also includes Retired faculty (IF still actively engaged in projects at CU Boulder).
  • All PRAs, Research Associates and Research Assistants (all levels), Instructors (all levels), Librarians, Museum Associates, and Fellows.
  • Non-employee Graduate Students IF they are currently involved in the design, conduct or reporting of any research, OR if they are involved in a CU Boulder employee-affiliated company/entity.
  • Undergraduate students, volunteers and consultants—ONLY IF they are responsible for the design, conduct or reporting of research, OR if they are involved in a CU Boulder employee-affiliated company/entity. 
  • The following groups typically DO NOT need to report: TAs, Lecturers, Professional Exempts and Adjoint faculty. However, university personnel involved in the design, conduct and reporting of research DO need to submit a DEPA, regardless of job type.

How often should the DEPA be submitted? 

Annually, and updated within 30 days of a status change.

How can I prepare for reporting via the DEPA?

Click on the DISCLOSURE FORM (DEPA) tab to the right of this page, then open the Sample Form to view the questions that are asked. For 97% of employees, this is a simple, short process that will take only a few minutes. For returning users, the last submission entered will remain accessible, for editing purposes, until the end of the calendar year. In January, the last entry from the previous year will move forward and can be edited, as needed, to provide a new annual report. (If a year of reporting has been missed, prepolpulated answers may not move forward).

Frequently Used Forms and Processes

Please visit Forms, Checklists, Contacts & Links. Outside consulting activities are governed by the APS regarding the 1/6th rule as well as university policy related to intellectual property/technology transfer (see Venture Partners at CU Boulder website).