What It Is

Your enrollment status at CU Boulder is based on the number of credit hours you're currently enrolled in. If you're a graduate student, your status also depends upon your level (doctoral or master's), the type of classes you're taking and, if you're a doctoral student, your candidacy status. The status is also based on university policy and state and federal regulations.

How It's Used

CU Boulder reports student enrollment status (i.e., full-time, half-time, less-than-half-time) to the National Student Clearinghouse multiple times each semester. The enrollment statuses reported are based on federal regulations and are defined in the financial aid load tables below.

Your enrollment status may affect your eligibility for housing, tuition remission, health insurance, financial aid, loan deferment status, etc. If you're considering dropping below full-time status, you should contact the applicable offices to find out how this enrollment change could affect your eligibility.

How to View It

  1. Follow this link to Buff Portal's term summary information card (you may be prompted to log in).
  2. Select "View term summary information."
  3. Select your term, then click "Continue."
  4. Scroll down to view your academic and financial aid enrollment statuses.

To print an enrollment verification, see Verify Your Enrollment or Degree.  

How It's Defined

Undergraduate Students

To be considered a full-time undergraduate student, you must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours in a single fall or spring term.

Academic Load

Term Full Time Half Time Less Than
Half Time
Fall & Spring 12 credits 6 credits 1–5 credits
Summer 6 credits 3 credits 1–2 credits

Financial Aid Load

Term Full Time Half Time Less Than
Half Time
Fall & Spring 12 credits 6–8 credits 1–5 credits
Summer 12 credits 6–8 credits 1–5 credits

Graduate Students

The Graduate School's academic full-time registration standards can be found in the Graduate School Rules (Section 8: Full-time Status and Minimum Registration Requirements) and are reflected in the academic load tables below.

The Office of Financial Aid's full-time and part-time standards are different than those set by the Graduate School and are established based partly on federal law. If you're receiving any financial aid or deferring any previous student loans, you must make sure you're in compliance with those registration requirements. For more information, see Adjustments to Financial Aid or refer to the financial aid load tables below.