Published: Sept. 28, 2022 By

We’re delighted to announce Jude Dow-Hygelund and Cian Krueger as our 2022 Sher Distinguished Musician Scholars

“Jude and Cian have accepted our offer of full-ride scholarships funded by John and Anna Sie,” says Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies and Enrollment Management Matthew Roeder. “I know that both recipients are extremely grateful for the opportunity to attend CU Boulder and pursue their music studies with us in the College of Music, beginning this fall. 

“I’m excited that we will have these two very talented musicians as part of our incoming class of first-year music students.”

Cian KruegerA Colorado native, Krueger grew up in the Thornton area and is studying alto jazz saxophone. Instantly drawn to CU Boulder, he knew that our College of Music was the place for him. “I’m inspired by the jazz faculty and the College of Music community—as well as the CU Boulder campus as a whole,” he says. 

“I looked up to the entire jazz faculty, especially John Gunther, Paul Romaine and Brad Goode. I’m so excited to be mentored by the amazing faculty here!”

Kreuger, who says he’s also fascinated by the history of jazz, shares what he enjoys most in playing the saxophone: “I love the motion and expression of improvisation. There is so much freedom and so many liberties you can take.”

He adds, “My lifelong dream is to perform. I’m excited to devote my time to studying the craft—growing as a musician and understanding more about how music is communicated and expressed.

“I can’t wait to collaborate with other musicians in the College of Music, and connect and help others through music within the Boulder community and beyond.”

Jude  Dow-HygelundPiano performance student Dow-Hygelund—whose sister received the same scholarship last year—knew that he wanted to study at the College of Music because of its strong piano program. “I’m looking forward to working with Professor of Piano Andrew Cooperstock and the rest of the piano faculty,” says Dow-Hygelund, from Longmont, Colorado, via Oregon. “I’m also drawn to the College of Music community, the CU Boulder campus and the greater Boulder area.”

Dow-Hygelund’s upbringing and family influence inspired him to pursue music. “My grandfather played the double bass and my parents played a lot of jazz in the speaker system that we had in the  house growing up. I grew up hearing solo piano music.”

Dow-Hygelund’s sister, Raven, is pursuing a double major in classical guitar performance and physics at CU Boulder. “We’ve collaborated a bit on chromatic harmonica and guitar, but not on piano and guitar,” he says.

Still determining his own path in music, he adds, “There are so many amazing musicians at the College of Music, and I’m very excited and appreciative of the many opportunities for collaboration.”