Published: Feb. 7, 2018 By

Richard Barnitz in Marine Corps uniform

Richard Barnitz (right) on duty with the Marine Corps.

As a CU engineering student and a veteran, I’ve met many students like myself who are hoping to expand their scope of knowledge about real engineering issues. So this week we’re having our first meeting of the CU chapter of the Society of American Military Engineers!

SAME is a national organization that leads efforts to confront national security and infrastructure challenges. As a chapter, we want to connect CU students with SAME members and companies in these fields. At our meetings we plan to host guest speakers, conduct trips to government sites and projects and foster an inclusive environment for all students, not just veterans, interested in these fields and goals.

In 2012 I left my university to serve for four years in the United States Marine Corps. I was stationed in Hawaii where I worked in a Combined Anti-Armor Team until 2016. After leaving the military I decided CU Boulder was the best fit because of the great civil engineering program and proximity to the Rocky Mountains. Several months ago I met Bill Doe, a CU staff member who also served in the military. Bill told me about the Society of American Military Engineers and expressed interest in starting a student chapter of the organization.

We welcome all students, no military experience necessary, who are interested in national defense, infrastructure, networking and, of course, free pizza. Attend our kickoff meeting at 4 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 8 at the Gallogly DLC Collaboratory (1B70) or contact us at SAME@colorado.edu for more information about joining.

Richard Barnitz is a civil engineering student and president of the CU Boulder SAME chapter.