Published: Dec. 6, 2017

#ILookLikeAnEngineer

Why did you choose engineering at CU Boulder?

I chose CU Engineering because its one of the few schools that offers architectural engineering, and it's a respectable program.

What does the #ILookLikeAnEngineer hashtag mean to you? 

It means that there's more than just caucasian males in this college pursuing their dreams. People of all backgrounds are here proving and making someone of themselves. 

What are three things that make you unique?

•  Smile
  •  Positivity
  •  Humor

What are your career goals?

Graduate from here with a BS/MS in Structural Engineering and go into a firm that works on sporting facilities like rec centers and stadiums. 

Do you have a favorite quote or mantra?

"Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot uneducate a person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore. We have seen the future, and the future is ours."
 - Cesar Chavez 

What are your hobbies?

Listen/Discover new music 
Hiking/Gym
Hang out with friends. 

What do you enjoy most about engineering?

How rewarding it is. It's so interesting learning about certain topics and knowing that ultimately one day these concepts will help others. It's a good feeling when you work hard and get the right answer or submit a project. 

What is your favorite engineering experience?

Being part of GoldShirt Engineering and attending summer bridge. The group partners I had that summer are now my best friends. 

Do you have a personal story, experience, or advice to help freshmen in engineering?

High school was really easy. I got good grades but that changed once I came here. The reviews were no longer like the exam and I had to study. In high school I would skim my notes the night before and ace the exam the next morning. I realized that I had become really good at memorizing. I would remember all the steps to solving the problems but I was not able to solve conceptual or intense vocabulary word problems. My grades from the first round of exams came back and that's when I realized that clearly what I was doing was no longer going to work out. I had to change my study habits and how I tackled certain topics. It's a learning process and you have to learn how to adapt to change. 

Hernan Lopez, Class of 2019, Architectural Engineering