Be engaged. Be represented. Be involved.
Engineering Staff Council strives to create a welcoming, equitable environment for all staff members within the College of Engineering and Applied Science in order to foster a more inclusive and collaborative workplace. We are dedicated to strengthening community, wellness and communication within the college. Engineering Staff Council works with leadership in shaping staff-related policies and procedures of the college – we are your voice!
The Staff Council serves in an advisory capacity to the dean. Council members are elected from across the college for two-year terms. Input and discussion center on fostering a sense of community within the college and facilitating communication of staff issues and concerns. Meetings are held monthly.
Your Staff Council Representatives are here to assist all staff members by serving as a voice for CEAS.
- Executive: Rebecca Komarek (Chair), Cameron Deverel-Rico (Vice Chair), Alex Voorhees (Secretary), Ashley West (Parliamentarian), Committee Chairs
- Community-Building Committee Co-Chairs: Carolyn Nalezny, Emily Adams
- Policy Committee Co-Chairs: Gabriel Sanchez, Jessica Rosso
- Retention Committee Chair: Brooke Nelson
- Feb. 7, 2023, meeting minutes
- Jan. 10, 2023, meeting minutes
- Dec. 8, 2022, meeting minutes
- Nov. 3, 2022, meeting minutes
- Oct. 6, 2022, meeting minutes
- Sept. 8, 2022, meeting minutes
- Aug. 2, 2022, meeting minutes
- July 7, 2022, meeting minutes
- February 10, 2022 Staff Council Meeting
- January 13, 2022 Staff Council Meeting
- December 7, 2021 Staff Council Meeting
- November 2, 2021 Staff Council Meeting
- Octover 4, 2021 Staff Council Meeting
- September 7, 2021: Staff Council Meeting
- July 20, 2021: Staff Council Meeting
- May 13, 2021: Staff Council Meeting
- April 8, 2021: Staff Council Meeting
- March 18, 2021: Staff Council Meeting
- Feb. 11, 2021: Staff Council Meeting
- Jan. 21, 2021: Staff Council Meeting
- Dec. 10, 2020: Staff Council Meeting
- Nov. 12, 2020: Staff Council Meeting
- Oct. 8, 2020: Staff Council Meeting
- Sept. 10, 2020: Staff Council Meeting
- Aug. 6, 2020: Staff Council Meeting
- July 9, 2020: Staff Council Meeting
- June 22, 2020: Special Staff Council Meeting
- June 4, 2020: Staff Council Meeting
- May 14, 2020: Staff Council Meeting
- April 2, 2020: Staff Council Meeting
- March 5, 2020: Staff Council Meeting
- Feb. 6, 2020: Staff Council Meeting
- Dec. 5, 2019: Staff Council Meeting
- Nov. 7, 2019: Staff Council Meeting
- Oct. 3, 2019: Staff Council Meeting
- Sept. 5, 2019: Staff Council Meeting
- Aug. 7, 2019, Staff Council Retreat
- June 11, 2019: First Staff Council Meeting
The Engineering Staff Council originally comprised eight CEAS classified and university staff members. In its initial year, the council expanded to 16 staff members.
Selection and Eligibility
- Staff members may nominate any classified or university staff member in CEAS to represent them and serve on the council, including themselves.
- Nominees must be at least part-time permanent employees who are not considered faculty.
- If nominated, the staff member will be notified and informed of the anticipated time commitment and responsibilities. If they accept the nomination, their supervisor will be notified as well. If their supervisor approves their service, they will be included in a general election (conducted via Qualtrics) and selected by a popular vote by staff members in the CEAS. In the event of a tie, the new representative will be selected by the Staff Council chair.
- In the initial startup of the council, the chair position is selected by the dean. This position will serve three years in order to provide continuity while half of the council members cycle out.
- The chair position may serve consecutive terms, if voted by the council members.
- If the chair vacates his/her position prior to the end of their term, council members may vote in a new chair who is currently serving or has served as a member of the council.
Terms and Rotation
The Engineering Staff Council members will be elected to two-year terms. The terms will be on a fiscal year basis and will run from July 1 to June 30. Consecutive terms are allowed. To maintain continuity and succession planning, the council member rotations will be staggered. In the initial time period, some members will serve three-year terms to help maintain continuity.
- Representatives are expected to attend all regular, monthly meetings as well as special or called meetings, including a day-long council retreat in early to mid-summer.
- Representatives serve on committees of the council and may be elected as an officer of those committees.
- Representatives should make themselves known to their constituents and be willing to hear concerns, receive information and suggestions, and communicate these effectively to the council. In turn, representatives must keep their constituents well-informed of the work of the council and matters that the administration wishes to communicate to the council.
- Representatives should be available a minimum of four hours per month in addition to council meetings for committee meetings and other council work.
Resolution Template: This template is recommended for any proposed resolutions going before the council.
- ESCR001: Birthday Leave Policy (Approved 4/6/20)
- ESCR004: Staff Professional Development Funds (Approved 2/11/2021)
The Engineering Staff Council approved its bylaws on April 2, 2020.