Be engaged. Be represented. Be involved. Be engineering.
Engineering Staff Council strives to create a welcoming, equitable environment for all staff members within the College of Engineering and Applied Science in order to foster a more inclusive and collaborative workplace. We are dedicated to strengthening community, wellness and communication within the college. Engineering Staff Council works with leadership in shaping staff-related policies and procedures of the college – we are your voice!
The Staff Council serves in an advisory capacity to the dean. Council members are elected from across the college for two-year terms. Input and discussion center on fostering a sense of community within the college and facilitating communication of staff issues and concerns. Meetings are held monthly.
In April 2020, the Engineering Staff Council approved a Birthday Leave Policy that awards all leave-eligible classified and university staff paid time off during their birth month in recognition of their birthday. The policy, approved by interim Dean Keith Molenaar, is intended to create positive employee morale and a sense of well-being lending to greater employee retention, engagement, work-life balance, loyalty, and motivation. The policy is effective July 1, 2020.
Your Staff Council Representatives are here to assist all staff members by serving as a voice for CEAS.
- Executive: Lou Rutherford (Chair), Victoria Lanaghan (Vice Chair), Joanne Uleau (Secretary), Otha Barrow (Parliamentarian), Committee Chairs
- Bylaws and Governance: Otha Barrow, Bill Doe, Victoria Lanaghan, Christina Oerter (Committee Chair)
- Communications: Sharon Anderson, Kim Goho, Aju Jugessur, Kellen Short (Committee Chair)
- Events and Outreach Committee: Mike Collier (Committee Chair), Maria Kuntz, Joanne Uleau, Kassie Van Pelt
- Staff Recognition, Development and Advancement: Kai Amey (Committee Chair), Emily Flanagan, Kim Goho, Stephanie Morris
All CEAS staff members are welcome to attend any monthly meetings in person or via Zoom.
- June 4, 2020 - 10 a.m. to Noon (Email Joanne Uleau for Zoom login information)
- July 9, 2020 - 10 a.m. to Noon (Email Joanne Uleau for Zoom login information)
- May 14, 2020, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. via Zoom
- April 2, 2020, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m., via Zoom
- March 5, 2020, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m., Clark Conference Room (ECAD 109)
- Feb. 6, 2020, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m., Clark Conference Room (ECAD 109)
- Jan. 2020: No meeting
- Dec. 5, 2019,10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Clark Conference Room (ECAD 109)
- Nov. 7, 2019: 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., DLC 1B70 (Collaboratory)
- Oct. 3, 2019: 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., UMC Room 247
- Sept. 5, 2019: 10 a.m. – 12 p.m., Clark Conference Room ECAD 109
- Aug. 7, 2019, Staff Council Retreat (elected members only), 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., DLC Collaboratory
- July 11, 2019: 10 a.m. – 12 p.m., Wolf 303
- June 11, 2019: First Staff Council Meeting, 8:30 a.m. - 10 a.m., CASE W311
Meeting agendas are usually available about one week prior to the regularly scheduled meeting.
- May 14, 2020: Agenda, CEAS staff feedback for supervisor training, Letter to Staff Council (redacted)
- April 2, 2020: Agenda, Draft Resolution, Draft Bylaws and Governance Committee charter, Draft Outreach and Events Committee charter, Draft Communications Committee charter
- March 5, 2020: Agenda and Draft Bylaws
- Feb. 6, 2020: Agenda and Draft Bylaws
- Dec. 5, 2019: Agenda
- Nov. 7, 2019: Agenda
- Oct. 3, 2019: Agenda, Attachment 1, Attachment 2
- May 14, 2020: Staff Council Meeting
- April 2, 2020: Staff Council Meeting
- March 5, 2020: Staff Council Meeting
- Feb. 6, 2020: Staff Council Meeting
- Dec. 5, 2019: Staff Council Meeting
- Nov. 7, 2019: Staff Council Meeting
- Oct. 3, 2019: Staff Council Meeting
- Sept. 5, 2019: Staff Council Meeting
- Aug. 7, 2019, Staff Council Retreat
- June 11, 2019: First Staff Council Meeting
Selection and Eligibility
- Staff members may nominate any classified or university staff member in CEAS to represent them and serve on the council, including themselves.
- Nominees must be at least part-time permanent employees who are not considered faculty.
- If nominated, the staff member will be notified and informed of the anticipated time commitment and responsibilities. If they accept the nomination, their supervisor will be notified as well. If their supervisor approves their service, they will be included in a general election (conducted via Qualtrics) and selected by a popular vote by staff members in the CEAS. In the event of a tie, the new representative will be selected by the Staff Council chair.
- In the initial startup of the council, the chair position is selected by the dean. This position will serve three years in order to provide continuity while half of the council members cycle out.
- The chair position may serve consecutive terms, if voted by the council members.
- If the chair vacates his/her position prior to the end of their term, council members may vote in a new chair who is currently serving or has served as a member of the council.
Terms and Rotation
The Engineering Staff Council members will be elected to two-year terms. The terms will be on a fiscal year basis and will run from July 1 to June 30. Consecutive terms are allowed. To maintain continuity and succession planning, the council member rotations will be staggered. In the initial time period, some members will serve three-year terms to help maintain continuity.
- Representatives are expected to attend all regular, monthly meetings as well as special or called meetings, including a day-long council retreat in early to mid-summer.
- Representatives serve on committees of the council and may be elected as an officer of those committees.
- Representatives should make themselves known to their constituents and be willing to hear concerns, receive information and suggestions, and communicate these effectively to the council. In turn, representatives must keep their constituents well-informed of the work of the council and matters that the administration wishes to communicate to the council.
- Representatives should be available a minimum of four hours per month in addition to council meetings for committee meetings and other council work.
Resolution Template: This template is recommended for any proposed resolutions going before the council.