What is the difference between your master's options?

For degree plan and requirement information, please visit our Choosing a Master's Program page.

Can I earn my degree online?

MS, ME and MSEE students may earn a portion of or all of the degree online. Online study is not suitable for the PhD. See the graduate school’s CU Connect website for more details. Also, please check out ECEE’s MS-EE online program, offered through Coursera.


How will I be evaluated for admission?

Your entire application is considered, including your GPA, letters of recommendation, CV and statement of purpose. Our admissions process is competitive, and successful applicants are exceptional in most, if not all, categories. PhD and MS students should strongly consider the research fit of the program by reading about faculty and their current research projects.

I have a GPA of less than 3.0. Can I still apply?

Yes, but be aware that our admissions are highly competitive and a lower GPA may put you at a disadvantage. Your status will be provisional until certain requirements set by the department and your advisor are met. 

Application Procedure and Process

Who should submit my letters of recommendation?

We recommend that your letters be written by members of the academic community. However, if significant time has passed since you were in college, this may prove to be a challenge. A mix of industry (supervisors, technical leads) and academic professionals is acceptable, and your situation will be taken into consideration. It is always better to have a strong letter from someone who knows you and your work well. 

Do you really need transcripts from every institution I have attended?

Yes, regardless of degree award status or length of attendance. Unofficial transcripts for all institutions attended are required to apply. Should you be admitted, you will be required to submit official transcripts. 

Can the department waive my application fee?

The Graduate School offers application fee waivers for participants in the following programs: AmeriCorps (currently serving), Black in AI (BAI), Building Infrastructure Leading to Diversity (BUILD) Initiative, Gates Millennium Scholars, Leadership Alliance, Louis-Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP), McNair Scholars Program, Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program, Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC) Scholar Program, Peace Corps (currently serving), Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP), SMART, Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS) and Teach for America. If you are affiliated with one of these programs, please send us proof of your affiliation to after you have started an application and before you submit, and we will process your fee waiver for you.

If you are in the U.S. military, you will receive an automatic fee waiver as a thank you for your service. Active duty, veteran, previously served and active reserve are all eligible for this automatic fee waiver.

If you are undocumented and/or a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) beneficiary, please contact to inquire about possible fee waivers.

For all other applicants, we cannot process your application without the application fee. To receive a waiver, you must directly contact the faculty member you would like to work with and ask if they would be able to pay your application fee.

Transfer Students

I want to transfer to your graduate program. How do I do that?

Please use the same online application and process as a new graduate student.

Can I transfer credits from another university/degree?

Yes, under certain circumstances. All requests are subject to approval by your advisor, the graduate director and the dean of the Graduate School. Only graduate coursework is transferable. Up to nine credit hours can be transferred to an MS (if the MS not already completed at another institution). Up to 21 credits can be transferred into a PhD from a completed or incomplete MS degree. Work with your graduate advisor to complete this process after you enroll.