Published: Sept. 15, 2018

#ILookLikeAnEngineer

Why did you choose engineering at CU Boulder?

I grew up in Broomfield, Colorado. So applying at a college close to my family was very important to me. Plus, I think Boulder is a very great town! And the highly-praised engineering program convinced me even more.

What does the #iLookLikeAnEngineer hashtag mean to you?

#ILookLikeAnEngineer means to me that we are celebrating diversity in the department and breaking stereotypes. There are demographics that are stereotypically the majority of the people in engineering, and it’s good to see that more types of people these days are more confident in ever learning in STEM fields. 

What are three things that make you unique?

Well, I must say that my transgender identity is one of the big traits about me. But I also have a bit of a musical talent with drums and ukulele. In my free time, I love to tutor younger students in a variety of fields.

What are your career goals?

I'm hoping I can start working soon with a local aerospace company, (Ball, DigitialGlobe, Aerospace Corporation) and specialize working in space navigation and controls.

What are your hobbies?

I like playing chess with my roommates, going outdoors and play Geocaching, of course practicing on my ukulele, and cooking for a group of friends a couple nights a week.

Do you have a favorite quote or mantra?

“The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.” - Neil Degrasse Tyson

What do you enjoy most about engineering?

The skills I gain from engineering allows me to feel like I have an awesome super power; controlling and manipulating things in the world to my will to benefit others.

What is your favorite engineering experience?

Researching over the summer with Professor Bosanac about low thrust approach trajectories was my favorite! I got to work in MATLAB to play around/test certain scenarios and find trends in orbital data.

Is there anything else you'd like to share?

Lately I’ve been doing my best to get out more, and to set a good example for others; kind of like an inspirational figure or a good role model. This is helping me do that.

Connie Childs, Class of 2019, Legacy High School Graduate, Aerospace Engineering​