The dissertation defense is similar to the Comps III examination. A committee of at least 5 members should be chosen following the rules for the Comps III committee with the added requirement that one of the members of the committee must be a regular CU Boulder faculty member from a department other than physics.
Students preparing for a thesis defense must complete the following requirements:
- Complete online application to graduate at beginning of semester that you will defend.
- Schedule the exam. Please note: Spring term ends the Friday before summer session begins. If you defend during Summer term, you must be signed up for 5 dissertation credits in Summer.
- Fill out the Doctoral Final Examination Form (Workflow Process) on the grad school website two weeks in advance of your exam.
- Submit the Defense Announcement (Poster) Form at least two weeks before your defense.
- Pass the final oral examination (thesis defense).
- Complete and submit thesis and paperwork according to Graduate School deadlines.