To be eligible to earn an advanced degree, students must fulfill appropriate requirements as established by their major department and the Graduate School, and have an approved Candidacy Application. Procedures and final deadlines required by the Graduate School are described below. Note: Please submit paperwork first to your department and allow time for review before Graduate School deadlines.
Commencement Dates & Requirements
For December 15, 2022*
For May 11, 2023
March 1, 2023
- Doctoral students must apply online to graduate through buff portal on the “apply for graduation” card in order to have the degree awarded in May. This is required whether you plan to attend the university-wide ceremony or not. PhD students must enter their dissertation title as part of the online graduation application, and the title may be updated until this deadline. This title will appear on your transcript after your degree is awarded.
- April 11, 2023
- Doctoral students must complete the PhD dissertation defense or final examination by this date. Notice of the examination must be provided to the Graduate School using the doctoral final examination form two weeks before the exam.
- April 18, 2023
- PhD students must submit the dissertation with Thesis Approval Form to ProQuest by this deadline. The dissertation must be submitted electronically for review and approval by Gradaute School staff by the end of the business day. The Thesis Approval Form (TAF) must be uploaded as a supplemental file with the dissertation in order for the submission to be complete. Students whose dissertations are received after this deadline, or those not submitted with the TAF, must apply to graduate at the following semester's commencement.
- April 18, 2023
- April 24, 2023
- Grade changes must be submitted for incomplete courses taken during previous or current semesters.
Plan ahead for an early deadline for August 24, 2023 graduates*
- April 1, 2023
- Graduate students who plan to have their degrees awarded in August 2023 but would like to participate in a May 2023 commencement ceremony and be listed in the commencement program must apply online to graduate through buff portal on the “apply for graduation” card. PhD students must also enter their dissertation title as part of the graduation application. Though you plan to participate in a May ceremony, please select August as the semester of graduation if that is when your degree will be awarded.
*Note: although there is no campus-wide ceremony, students may have degrees awarded in August and December.