Published: Nov. 23, 2021 By

Eunjeong (EJ) LeeCollege of Music student ambassador Eunjeong (EJ) Lee recently shared with us these insights on applying to the College of Music, ensuring a successful audition, getting involved, feeling supported and more:

What tips do you have for students applying to the College of Music?  

The application and audition process can be stressful but always believe in yourself! And don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it from friends, family and teachers who care about you. 

What’s your advice for students preparing for a successful audition?

Start preparing your audition materials as early as you can—time management is very important, especially for practicing.

What was the most helpful advice you got in preparing for your own audition? 

Even if something doesn’t go the way you want it to, everything is going to work out in some way. Always be open-minded about your options. 

In what way do you feel most supported at the College of Music? 

As a student, I have huge support from College of Music faculty members. My professor, TAs, band directors and other professors all support me in various ways. 

What’s been the most valuable part of your education in the College of Music, so far? 

The most valuable part so far has been building a special community. I’ve made so many new connections and relationships that the college has become my second home.

What’s something you’ve accomplished while at the College of Music that you’re proud of?

I joined many different activities, including NAFME [National Associate for Music Education] and the marching band. I feel accomplished about how involved I am in the College of Music while managing school work pretty well. 

How did you know that you wanted to pursue music professionally?

I’ve always wanted to pursue music professionally because it just felt right. I can’t imagine myself doing anything else as music has always been the only thing that makes me truly happy. 

Remember, the priority deadline to apply to the College of Music is Dec. 1.