Ken was an inspirational professor, with a calm character, teaching and inspiring 100’s of students in Cartography, GIS, and all fields of Geography. The KESDA lab (Kenneth Erickson Spatial Data Analysis Lab) was named in his honor for his dedication during the department's manual-to-digital transition of Cartography and GIS analysis in the 1990’s and early 2000's.
Ken's Career in the Geography Department
- His major research interests were in conservation and Northern lands.
- He introduced the research and writing seminar for advanced undergraduates and beginning graduate students.
- Instrumental for setting up the department's internship program.
- He was the main Cartography instructor for many years training hundreds of students.
- Namesake for the "Kenneth Erickson Spatial Data Analysis Lab" (KESDA Lab)
Ken passed away at his home in Lincoln City, Oregon, Dec. 22, 2017 at the age of 83. See "In Memorium: Professor Emeritus Ken Erickson".