CU Mascot

If you have any updates, please let us know using our alumni update form or send an email with your information to the department. We would love to hear from you about how your career has progressed since attending CU!

Donald Friend, MA 1988

I have not wavered from the theme of mountain geography garnered at Boulder. I am now Distinguished Professor of Geography at Minnesota State University. I served AY 2019-2020 as a National Academies Jefferson Science Fellow in the Office of Global Climate Change at USAID.

I am honored and inspired every day to continue on as a geographer serving as a University Professor.

Nick Rising, BA 2007

I am currently living in Denver, CO working for U.S. Department of Energy (Attorney-Advisor) and U.S. Department of Energy (Attorney-Advisor).

Comments from RSVPs for the Alumni & Friends Celebration

Richard Schaffer, 1974

I also have a GIS certificate and currently work for FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) doing Planning and GIS work during disasters.

Alton Byers, 1975 BA; 1987 PhD

Both degrees were especially memorable experiences. Having the Mountain Research Station so close to campus was another huge bonus for someone interested in alpine ecosystems.

Alice Mulder, PhD 2003

Very sorry to miss AAG and this gathering in particular.  I have a sustainability conference we host from the center I direct at my institution on the same days, or I would be there.

Elliot Lim, 2007

I'm very happy that I received my Geography degree from the University of Colorado and now I'm working in the field. https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/humans-ncei-elliot-lim

Susan Clarke

I co-authored with Lynn Staeheli, Geography faculty emerita, as well as with my husband, Gary L. Gaile, Geography faculty emeritus. I was on several Geography PhD committees and maintain contact with many of those students. I also initiated the Gary L. Gaile Travel Fund through the CU Development Office. Susan E. Clarke, Professor of Political Science, Emerita

Yu (Aloe) Rioux, PhD 2008

While I am not able to attend the 2023 AAG since I am not working in the field of geography any more, I deeply appreciate the education I have received from CU Geography! I miss the days in Guggenheim. I miss my fellow graduate students, my advisor Tim Oakes, and my committee members Ken Foote, Elizabeth Dunn, and Rachel Silvey, and the Asian/China geographers (Emily Yeh et al.) -- wishing you all well! Here's also to the fond memories of Dr. Gary Gaile!

Richa Nagar, Faculty at CU Boulder, Geography from 1995-1997

Wish I could make it, but I am unable to attend this year. Would love to stay connected about things happening in CU Boulder Geography Dept, especially in Human/ Feminist/ and South Asian/SWANA Geography.

Lionel Lyles, PhD 1977

My emphasis was on historical and contemporary social, economic, and political problems. Over the past 40 years, I have applied Marxist-Leninist Philosophy to American Political Economy, demonstrating through the use of scientific socialism that the American Working Class has been situated in an oppressed condition, along with a myriad forms of social and economic injustices.

Martin Price, PhD 1988

I retired at the end of January 2021 from my role as (Founding) Director of the Centre for Mountain Studies, Perth College, University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI). I am now Professor Emeritus with UHI, and remain active within UNESCO's Man and the Biosphere (MAB) Programme.  Recently, I contributed the Epilogue to the second edition of 'Sustainable Mountain Development: Getting the Facts Right' by Prof. Jack D. Ives, my PhD supervisor.  This was published by Springer: https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-96029-2

Eileen Reedy, 1985 Environmental Conservation

I was able to use my degree for only one of several jobs, that of Junior Planner for the City of San Diego. I now have a Masters degree in Counseling and work in that field. Best wishes to the new grads.

Melanie Peterson-Nafziger, MA 1998

So sorry to miss this celebration! I taught high school social studies courses including global politics and theory of knowledge and coordinated the International Baccalaureate Program for about 20 years and am now working for the national non-profit World Savvy, striving to transform US education to center global competence so students are equipped to collaborate and strategically influence the world's complex challenges! Best wishes everybody!

Lavinia (Simons) Ycas, BA 1973

I was a TA for Ted Myers in my senior year, & unofficially minored in history. Wound up working in Reference at Boulder Public Library for over 2 decades & then at the Boulder Carnegie Library for Local History for another 5 years. My degree was a great background for both! I also took courses with Gilbert White, to my everlasting satisfaction. 

Craig Harper, BA 1982

I work for a drinking water utility in SW Oregon as a source water (watershed) protection specialist. I would like to connect with other alumni from the 80's.

Beth Potter, 1976

I live in Alaska and worked for years in coastal management and water quality. I’m now retired. The professors I remember the most are Nick Helburn, Horace Quick, and Patrick Webber.

Gina Li, MA 2019

Sorry I can't make it! It's too far, but I would otherwise love to be there! I'll be at SOTMUS 2023 this year in Richmond VA, so if anyone from the department is going, I'd love to meet up. Thank you for the invitation! Love to see our class made the cover :)

Jamie Rosa, BA 2010

Please keep me on email list serv, any research assistant projects or volunteer opportunities on or off campus, please let me know.

Andrea Ray, PhD 2004

So glad you're doing this! I'm looking forward to it.  Please keep me on your list for other local events - I'm still in Boulder working for NOAA

Nancy Hoalst-Pullen, PhD 2008

Say hi to Karen W.!  She's the best admin assistant I've ever known!

Nancy Nolan, 1980 Environmental Conservation

Would love to get in touch with some other alumni from around the same time, or professors or graduate students during that time. Lee Moll was a classmate that I lost touch with and regret that!   Nice to hear from you. Sorry I won’t be able to make this - really wish that I could. Nancy Nolan, Anchorage, Alaska