Nick Lewis

Remote Sensing instruments

Remote Sensing instruments and maps

After completing my MA in Geography with Mark Serreze, I went on to teach Physical Geography and ultimately Remote Sensing & Advanced Remote Sensing at the United States Military Academy at West Point from 2018-2021. Since my retirement from the Army in 2021, my family and I moved to Charlottesville, VA where I am a Defense Contractor serving as the Product Owner for a Computer Vision (AI/ML) program automating object detection in satellite imagery.

My advanced degrees in Space Studies and Geography have provided a unique skill set as it relates to Remote Sensing. I'm well equipped to assist customers in resolving their intelligence and information requirements by refining their proposals to operate within the bounds of current satellite imaging capabilities and can advise my data science team regarding imagery exploitation toward AI/ML solutions.

There is tremendous opportunity for those with remote sensing competency/literacy, geospatial data fusion/visualization and data science leanings in the defense and intelligence communities. One of the most exciting aspects of what we are doing is that we have fully funded research endeavors that each have plans for operationalizing and integrating the capability. Our research and development create improvements and efficiencies toward advancing the field of computer vision and elevating our programs, algorithms, and understanding of computer vision model performance.