Published: April 25, 2022 By

Pam ShowalterI taught at the University of Toledo, then Texas State University, retiring in 2010 as an Associate Professor with numerous peer-reviewed articles and a co-edited book, "Geospatial Techniques in Urban Hazard and Disaster Analysis" under my belt. My retirement coincided with the start of a new, five-year journey, during which my spouse and I served in the role of long-distance primary caregivers for her aging Mom. "The Caregiver's Journey: A Roadmap for Navigating Your Path" sprang out of those years. The vast majority of such caregivers get thrust into that role with no clue of the kinds of challenges they'll face or how to proceed except by trial and error. Our book's goal is simple -- to put a stop to the constant "reinvention of the caregiving wheel" by providing caregivers the tools they need while serving in that capacity. 

After retirement I incorporated my remote sensing skills into my landscape photography, along the way inventing what I call, "Cloud Cartography". I have shown and sold some of my photographs at art shows and in a gallery in Texas; now that we've moved to Golden I intend to continue along that path.