In 1892, University of Colorado President James H. Baker approached the university regents with a proposal for a science and technological school, which he believed would become “an important department for the University.” One year later, in the fall of 1893, the School of Applied Science was established with one student and two instructors.
The school initially offered degrees in civil and electrical engineering, with all classes and shop work in Old Main and Hale. With the completion of an engineering building in 1898, located where Norlin Library stands today, the soon-renamed College of Engineering grew quickly to include mechanical and chemical engineering. By the turn of the century, more than 50 students were enrolled.
Today, the College of Engineering and Applied Science has undoubtedly fulfilled Baker’s predictions. It is home to more than 200 faculty members and more than 6,500 students who are working on the forefront of technological advances for the next 125 years.
Frederick W. Whiteside
1st Female Graduate
Minnette E. Frankeberger
Year the current Engineering Center was completed.
Historic photos: CU Heritage Center, Boulder, Colorado