#ILookLikeAnEngineer

Why did you choose engineering at CU Boulder?

I chose engineering at CU Boulder because of the opportunities and its proximity to home! Being from Loveland, CU is close enough to go home for a weekend which was (and is) a must for me! In terms of opportunities, the chance to get hands-on experience right away, and job opportunities due to all of the connections CU has with great companies like NASA, Ball, and Lockheed were a huge draw! CU also has so many opportunities outside of engineering like sports, clubs and volunteer opportunities!

What does the #iLookLikeAnEngineer hashtag mean to you?

To me, #ILookLikeAnEngineer means that anyone has the opportunity and ability to be an engineer. No matter their background, previous education, or current circumstance, if they utilize their resources and work hard, everyone can be a successful engineer!

What are three things that make you unique?

1. My passion for sports and dedication to "my teams"! No matter their record, the Rockies and Buffs will ALWAYS be "my teams" and watching them will always be one of my favorite things to do!! Any time during baseball season, chances are I have the Rockies or one of their opponents on while I'm working!
2. My enjoyment of public speaking. While I initially hated it, I've grown to love and look for opportunities for public speaking. Writing speeches is such an art, and I love the rush you get when you speak and present about something you are passionate about!
3. My music taste is pretty unique! While I love current songs and bands, I also really love steel drum music! It’s just always so happy and it never fails to put a smile on my face! =D

What are your career goals?

My ultimate career goals are to be a NASA astronaut! I hope to be part of the team that sets up a Moon outpost to prepare for the long term Mars missions! I am ecstatic to work in the industry in any capacity while learning the "ins and outs" that may help keep me alive in space someday! It's something I've been dreaming of for as long as I can remember, and I'm thrilled to be learning things that so directly apply to my dreams!

What are your hobbies?

I enjoy playing tennis, skiing, cheering on the Rockies and the Buffs, and hanging out with friends and family in any capacity! I also love shopping (of course!), watching movies (Apollo 13 is my favorite, of course!), and learning new exciting things.

Do you have a favorite quote or mantra?

Go big or go home!!

What is your favorite engineering experience?

My favorite engineering experience (so far) is launching our satellite in my Gateway to Space class. After pouring my heart and soul into the project with a team that turned into close friends, there was nothing more satisfying than watching our satellite launch and land successfully!

What do you enjoy most about engineering?

My favorite thing about engineering is how everything can be approached like a puzzle! From each homework problem, to labs and exams, everything (when approached like a puzzle) is more enjoyable and exciting when you get it right and “solve the puzzle”!

Is there anything else you'd like to share?

While I was successful in high school (as I’m sure every single student reading this was), the transition to college classes and living was incredibly difficult. I was homesick, always felt behind in my classes, and missed my friends that I had known for more than a few months. However, I found that being completely honest with other students helped for genuine friendships that made weekends away from home more fun, studying more productive, and classes more enjoyable! After I was honest with other students in my dorm and classes, I found out that I was in no way the only one struggling. Everyone missed their parents, everyone missed their beds and homecooked meals, everyone felt behind, and everyone was looking for friends. Taking the time to talk to these new found friends about their struggles helped me feel less alone, and also helped me let out some of the frustrations I had been holding in out! While everyone is looking for friends and study-partners in college, being honest about how hard things are (or how you feel great about your last exam, or something great about your day) truly helps foster genuine and long-lasting friendships. It just takes the courage to be honest to one person at a time! You can do it! It does get easier as you gain experience and friends. Classes will always be challenging, but having people to take college on with makes it more enjoyable for sure! KEEP GOING! YOU ARE DOING GREAT AND WORKING SO SO HARD!

Addison Woodard, Class of 2021, Loveland High School, Aerospace Engineering