Published: Aug. 18, 2017

#iLookLikeAnEngineer

What does the #iLookLikeAnEngineer hashtag mean to you?

Growing up I had no idea what role engineers played in the world, nor did I have an image of the typical engineer. #iLookLikeAnEngineer means that there are no boundaries to who can become an engineer. It also brings awareness to diversity in STEM fields and that is a big motivation for me.

What are three things that make you unique?

1. I had the chance to work on five different sounding rocket missions that have launched out of Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia through the Colorado Space Grant Consortium.

2. I am a first generation middle school, high school, and college student and the first in my family to graduate with a bachelor's degree.

3. I had the opportunity to be in several leadership opportunities including being president for the SHPE/MAES chapter at CU Boulder, vice regional student representative for MAES - Latinos in Science and Engineering, and student program manager for the National Rock On Workshop in Virginia.

What are your hobbies?

My hobbies are Latin dancing (salsa, bachata and merengue), playing soccer, and watching movies in the theater.

What do you enjoy most about engineering?

I mostly enjoy the challenge of creative problem solving. There could be hundreds of solutions to a single problem but experience and diverse thinking will bring about the best solutions.

What is your favorite engineering experience?

My favorite engineering experience was when I was working on a prototype of a business jet in Kansas during my internship with Textron Aviation. It was amazing to work in the aviation industry with real engineers and on a plane that would be ready for its first flight. It was a preview of what lies ahead and it kept me interested in my field.

Flor Gordivas, Class of 2017, Electrical and Computer Engineering