Published: June 23, 2017

#ILookLikeAnEngineer

Why did you choose engineering at CU Boulder?

I wanted to stay close to home but get the best engineering education possible in Colorado.

What does #ILookLikeAnEngineer mean to you?

To me the hashtag means that engineers come in all shapes and colors. It also means representing those who are underrepresented. 

What are three things that make you unique?

1. I am from a first-generation student from Sudan and I speak Arabic.
  2. I am extremely passionate about education. 
  3. I love lions. I am a Leo and my middle name means lion in Arabic and I am very proud of both of those things.

What are your career goals?

Ever since spending a year of school in Sudan, I have noticed the educational disparities between the United States and Third World countries. Since then, I have become extremely passionate about education and I hope to someday use the education that I have been blessed with in the U.S. to improve public education systems in Third World countries like Sudan. I know that once they have a great education system, the overall quality of life in those countries will improve.

Do you have a favorite quote or mantra?

So early in my life, I had learned that if you want something, you had better make some noise. – Malcolm X

What are your hobbies?

I enjoy reading books and working with kids. 

What do you enjoy most about engineering?

I love how you can imagine something and make it come to life using science and math. It is really satisfying seeing ideas transform from paper to reality.

What is your favorite engineering experience?

I loved working as a mentor for EngiNearMe on campus this summer. I learned how to to 3D print and laser cut and then teach those skills to high schoolers. As a mentor, I was constantly learning new things while working with the students. That's what I love about engineering – you are never done learning.

Faiza Sid-Ahmed, Open-option class of 2020